xii. the smart one

"I'm sorry

"I'm sorry. You're staying where?" Kie asked John B or practically yelled at him. John B sighed, walking over to the booth the group sat in at the Wreck. "Tannyhill." John B sighed, flopping into the side of the booth Quinn and Pope were in, putting all his weight on Quinn.

"So you're living with Sarah Cameron." Quinn groaned, pushing John B off of her to have him sit normally. John B sighed, rubbing his eyes as he looked across the table to Kie and JJ. "Okay, look, the only reason I'm living there is because her dad bailed me out, right? And it's way better than foster care, which, by the way, is where I was about to go if Ward didn't-" "Hey, so do you have a membership to the clubs now?" Pope interrupted, a small smirk on his face.

"I don't know, Pope." John B groaned out. JJ smirked, leaning forward across the table. "What about those golf carts they drive around? You get one of them?"

"Does it come with a sweater-vest, or do you have to buy one on your own?" Pope asked, popping Quinn's collar of her shirt.

Kie glared at the two boys, turning back to John B. "Look, you promised. You said you weren't with her." John B rolled his eyes as Quinn sighed, turning to him. "Dude, just own it. She got you."

"Look, if you wanna hang out with her, that's fine. But I'm letting you know now that I'm not doing anything with Sarah." Kie said, shrugging her shoulders. John B opened her arms, looking around the restaurant. "Do you guys see her here? No, right. Okay. A little focus would be fantastic."

Quinn sighed, turning to John B. "We've got the map, right?" John B nodded, pulling the map out of his pocket, opening it on the table. JJ groaned at the map, hitting it with the back of his hand. "It's out of whack 'cause the guy was ganja'd when he drew it."

"It's 'cause the coast has changed." Quinn said, slowly looking up at JJ with a 'really' look. "So we just have to look for landmarks that haven't changed." Pope said, nodding in agreement with Quinn. "What about the old forts?" Kie asked and Quinn looked back at the map, her eyes going wide as she pointed at it. "Battery Jasper."

...

The Pogues stood in Battery Jasper, looking over the edge of the cliff as they looked down at the map. "We're in Battery, right here. So if this is parcel nine, then it's somewhere northeast of here." Quinn said, somehow being the one that had to carry the map. "Somewhere there." Pope said, gesturing to his left. JJ immediately shook his head, turning to the other Pogues. "Over there? Guy's, that's not Tannyhill, that's a subdivision."

"Tannyhill Plantation was the entire island. It got sold into smaller pieces over time." John B said as Quinn sighed, reading over the map. "So we're just looking for an old stone wall." She muttered, lowering the map slightly to look off the edge.

...

"Okay, so the road should split up here." Quinn said, leaning in between the drivers seat and the passenger seat John B and Pope were sitting in. "Okay. All right. You're gonna take a left." Quinn announced, looking back and forth between the road and the map.