Chapter 15

After Eren came back with my clothes I left the hospital with him and Armin and they walked me to my temporary house in the village.
"This is Jeans family house but seeing as though his family are dead he said you could stay here with him for a few days." Eren said, almost sounding jealous.
I walked into the house and smiled at how homey it felt.
"Nay'?" Jean shouted.
"Where are you?" I shouted back.
I turned around to see him limp down the stairs. He hobbled over and hugged me. "You're stupid, you know that right?"
"How am I" I asked smiling.
"You just are. I heard about the branch and I can see too. Does your nose hurt?"
"Yeah. It does." I said trying not to laugh.
"Look. We gotta go." Armin said looking at Eren.
"I'll see you guys later then." I said smiling.
"Probably not." Eren said storming of followed by Armin.
I sighed and flopped on jeans couch.
"What's wrong with him?"
"He's mad that I got hurt and that Armin saved me and that I'm staying with you. He's just getting mad because he's not looking after me. But I'm not a dog. I can take care of myself."
"Well. Food is limited around here so we have potatoes or potatoes" he said smiling.
"That's a really hard decision. Think I'll have to go with potatoes"
"I would have said the same thing" he said smiling.

After dinner things were great. We made jokes, had little chats, talked about our pathetic injuries and that we were going back to work on the same day. Seemed jeans leg had healed well.
But after what felt like forever, we went upstairs and slept in the room with two single beds.
"Hey. You awake" I whispered.
"Yeah. Are you"
I giggled."yeah." It was silent for a moment after that. "Hey. You know. The whole time I've been here, this has been the only day I've felt happy to be here. I'm glad I have a friend like you."
"I'm glad I have you. I lost someone not so long ago"
"Marco?"
"Yeah. How'd you know"
"Armin told me about him. Well, he told me that you two were really good friends."
"We were."
"What was he like?"
"He was like you. He thought he could take on the world, he wanted to take on the world just so the people he loved could be that bit safer but instead he got himself bit in half. people like you are amazing, but you often try to save too many people at once."
"I've been told that before"
"Why do you do it Naomi. I don't understand how you could possibly think dying would help the situation."
"I don't. I think dying instead of someone I love is better so they can use my death as a means to survive, knowing I didn't die in vain."
"How are you so...you know...happy and your brother is so...you know...not happy"
"He was always like that. He barely smiled as a kid. Honestly the only thing that gave him pleasure was cleaning. I can remember when he use to visit me, he use to make sure he cleaned my house top to bottom before he left."
"Cleaning? Really?"
"And killing titans of course. Titans killed our parents. They were both in the survey corps too."
"Ahh. Carry on the legacy."
"Well. I'm not too sure. My parents died and I can't see Levi dying anytime soon. He's too careful."
"I don't think it's being careful that saves him, it's being good at what he does"
"Yeah...guess so."
"Hey, Naomi."
"What?"
"Promise me you'll try to be careful when we go back."
"I promise you."
"So explain what happened to you today then."
I shook my head smiling. "We had to set up camp and I could hear something so I told everyone to hide up In the trees, me and Armin on one tree, Connie and Sasha on another. A bunch of titans ran through the forest like a herd, snapping the branch i was on so me and Armin fell. He grabbed my broken arm, holding me, stopping Me from falling to my death, as he shot into a tree branch above us. He let go of me and I shot up to a safer branch and pulled him with me before we went across to Connie and Sasha. We waited for someone to help us for hours then some people cane and Eren turned titan and knocked me off my branch, again so Armin shot his 3DMG through my leg."
"What happened to your face then."
"Well when we eventually got back on the ground, Armin full forced, pushed me into a tree to save me from a titan. I don't think he meant any harm by it, but It fucking hurt." I sat up and looked at Jean.
"You made your move on mikasa yet?"
"No. I have a broken leg. She probably thinks I'm a joke."
"You broke your leg trying to save people. If she thinks that's a joke, then she's deluded. I'm sorry that you broke your leg, but you broke it being a hero. She can't do anything be praise you for that."
"I wish it was as easy as you make out."
"So do i." I scoffed and lay back down. "Thank you for taking me in."
"It's okay. Eren said you could have stayed in his cabin, but I said if you were around scouts that it'd just make you angry because you were just sitting around. This way, we get to do nothing in the company of eachother."
"Wow. That is the dream." I laughed and looked up at the ceiling. "I wish that one day, in the near or distant future, they find a way to either make it possible for us to live alongside titans, or a way to obliterate them all."
"So do I. I just want them gone. I've had enough of them killing people and destroying lives of families everywhere. They're like a plague. We just need to wipe them out."
"A giant plague. With huge joker looking mouths and weird skin that steams when it's cut."
"Say what you want, but their anatomy is pretty cool."
"I will agree with you on that on Jean."
We both laughed and eventually, were pulled victim of the tempting darkness that surrounded us.