Chapter 9

I sat down in the library and began reading books on titans. It was the king's personal library...he let me use it due to our 'friendship'.
"Ah. Naomi" the commander said walking toward me.
"Sir" I said standing up.
"Mind if I sit down?" He asked pointing to the seat beside me.
"Ah. No. Please" I said pulling it out. We both sat down and he smiled.
"You're a very talented warrior"
"Thank you sir but if this is an attempt to get me back in the scouts it isn't going to work."
"Naomi...you didn't put Levi in the hospital...he succumbed to his weaknesses. I know Eren also upset you but your not the only one that puts yourself at risk with the titans. Mikasa does it, Levi does it you just don't have much experience in the field. So your skills are limited which isn't a bad thing. Stop acting like your doing this for you, when really your doing it for them. Get over this petty feeling and get back to doing what you're good at, fighting, not sitting here reading books, having your talent waste away"
"I'm trying to keep my brother from wasting away"
"In this world, death is inevitable, the only thing we as humans can do, is prolong it. We need you to prolong death for many of our citizens. These people can't go through what Eren and Armin did when their wall was broken through. We lost space, people and resources and if that happens again we wouldn't recover. You saved so many people in such a short amount of time. You shouldn't let it hold you back."
"But sir, they all look at me like I'm crazy. I can't join back again after leaving."
"Well...what if you didn't. What if Jojo did."
"Jojo." I said confused.
"Yes. Leader of the back up scout squad. You shall run the squad that run behind, and help when someone signals for it."
"wait? With no training you're considering me for a position like that"
"Yes. You deserve it."
"I don't think this is about me deserving anything. I think it's a bribe."
"Well, whatever it is, is it working?" He asked smiling.
I closed the book and sighed. "Yes. Jojo, the new leader for the back up scout squad is ready for duty sir" I said smiling.

The commander had my hair cut in a certain way so it covered my face when i wasn't in battle. I was dressed in the scouts uniform before entering the camp. I was in the stable with the horses whilst the commander spoke with the scouts.
After the conversation was over, Jean hobbled into the stable.
"You must be Jojo" he said.
I looked around and smiled. "You can't tell anyone." I whispered moving my hair.
"Naomi" he asked loudly. I put my hand over his mouth and shushed him.
"Be quiet. I can't have people knowing."
"Wait? You're the new squad leader"
"Yeah. I was shocked too but I can't have people like Eren or Levi knowing because they got knocked off what they're supposed to be doing."
He nodded. "suppose that makes sense" he smiled and hugged me. He moved away. "I'm so glad you're back."
"Jojo. I have Tomaki from the military police here" someone said from behind me. I smiled and ran over to him.
"What are you doing here?" I asked.
"Well, I came to see how things were, squad leader" he said smiling.
I heard Jean cough, indicating he wanted me to introduce them, so I grabbed Tomaki's arm and pulled him over.
"Toma, this is Jean. Jean this is Toma." I said smiling.
Jean smiled and stuck out his hand. Tomaki shook it and smiled.
"Don't have a nickname for this one" he said looking at me. "Well Lily I have to run. I'm here for a reason. I'll come find you before I leave though"
"Okay, see you soon" I said waving slightly.
"Bye you two" he shouted before disappearing.
"err ma'am, you have a meeting, care to follow me." Someone asked from behind me.
"Well duty calls. See you later Jean." I said smiling.