Chapter 6: We Each Have a Story

Chapter 6

: We Each Have a Story

We are taken to the Training Center, our home and jail until the Games. It's a ginormous complex with a huge machine at its center, called an elevator. You step inside a clear, crystal box, and it takes you up and down the floors real fast, and real smooth. At first, I was terrified to ride because I know Father rode these in the mines. But after the first ride, I was sold. It was a great ride.

"Can we do it again?" I ask excitedly, and Effie simply laughs and waves us forward, to explore our floor. Each district has its respective floor in this complex, and being District 12, we're stuck with the highest floor. This turns out to be a good thing though, because we get access to the roof.

As Peeta and I follow Effie around, I wonder what has happened to Haymitch. Probably drunk, and wandering around alone, having forgotten about his duties as a mentor. Seems unfortunately likely.

"You two have done astoundingly well! I know everyone in the Capitol you ought to know, and I've been talking storms about you, trying my very best to get you sponsors! See, there's just so much potential from Twelve this year, and—" as Effie excitedly drones on, clearly ecstatic for these Games, I then start to realise how much this means to her. As an escort of Twelve, the unconfirmed worst district of Panem, she's never had any promising tributes. And after our successful parade, she is now faced with her first opportunity to bring two, scrawny tributes into fame.

For her, it's a chance for promotion. And that realisation hits me hard. Effie's enthusiasm for the Games seemed quite obnoxious at first, but with the life she's been given, the cards she's been dealt, I can suddenly sympathise with her excitement. Not empathise, not understand, but simply, sympathise.

"Unfortunately, I cannot finalize any decisions regarding your sponsors, as that is Haymitch's responsibility. But don't worry my dears, I'll make sure he gets things done, even if I have to drag him there to do it. Where is he anyways?" she frowns momentarily, stopping in her tracks. Her determination sure is admirable. "I better go fetch him now. Your rooms are right here and here," she gestures towards two adjacent rooms, "and just ask for me if you ever need anything. See you later!" and with that, she walks away, arms swinging gently by her side.

After saying a quick bye to Peeta, I enter my room. I'm taken aback by everything, but first and foremost, by its size. Why? It's larger than my whole house back in Twelve. And the room is even better equipped than my train room, which I had previously thought impossible.

I take some time to explore, and soon decide on my favorite gadget. It's this machine that gives you all the food you want. You just have to speak into the mouthpiece, and poof! It comes right out of a hole in the center of a little table, hot and steaming. Or cold, I suppose, if you'd like ice cream. I really love it here. If only it were like this, forever, with no Games to anticipate. If only Mom and Katniss could have been here too, with Buttercup and Lady. Things would have been perfect. And I could be without a care in the world.

I decide to take a warm shower, noticing how many more options they have with temperature, scents, soaps, massages, dryers, ointments, and more.

It's so nice taking showers here. It's almost mindless, as the machines do it all for you. No worries about soap falling into your eyes, no worries of reaching your back, and no worries of running out of warm water. I step out, let the warm air dry me as it seeps in from panels on the floor, and wrap myself in a warm, fluffy towel. I head over to the closet, and find what seems like a million outfits, all tailored for me. As I whiz through, I wonder how long it took to make each article of clothing. A shame most of them will go to waste.