Chapter 8: The Last Few Days

I walk out of the gymnasium, a bit disappointed at my own performance and also a bit mad at the gamemakers. None of them really payed close attention to me.

"Well at least a low score won't bring the career tribute's attention to me," I say to myself.

I walk until I get to the elevator and find an avox there. Not Lavinia but some other avox. I press 12 and the elevator shoots up. Soon I'm back in my own room. I just pace around in my room and Lavinia comes by to wave hi. Soon there's a knock on the door. It's Haymitch. And Effie. I walk over and open the door. Effie walks in all bubbly and Haymitch just trails in.

"So, how'd you think you did?" Effie exclaims.

"Not bad, not good. There was nothing...exciting. The gamemakers didn't pay much attention to me," I reply.

"Typical," Haymitch says.

"Well now you have quite a bit of free time~!" Effie exclaims, clapping her hands together.

"Just come down for dinner when we call," she adds. Then she and Haymitch leave the room.

"Free time~!" I say to myself, super excited. But then after five minutes I realize there is literally nothing to do. I mean, this building isn't really meant for entertaining the tributes.

"This is the most boring free time ever," I mutter to myself. I just decide to go take a quick shower, then take a nap. I know, that's like the most tedious thing to do.

I'm woken up by Effie knocking on my door, summoning me to dinner. I get there and there's already everyone else sitting there. Effie, Haymitch, Peeta, and even our stylists, Cinna and Portia. Then I realize that our training scores would be televised tonight, and that was probably why our stylists were also here.

"How are you doing, Prim?" Cinna asks me.

"Great," I answer with as much enthusiasm as I can muster. Cinna, being my stylist and all, reminds me of the games, and how close they are coming. These are the last few days, before the Games.

I start inhaling the food, like I always do. 12 year old girls are always hungry, in my opinion that is. The adults start talking about different things and I stay quiet. I don't have much to say. I guess I'm a bit nervous. The games are coming closer by the minute. I look up. Peeta is looking at me. Is he nervous too? After we exchange glances we are just back to keep eating.

"How'd you think you guys did?" Haymitch asks Peeta and I, as our mentor. I shrug.

"I think I did well but then the gamemakers didn't even care," Peeta replies. I just nod, that's what happened to me too.

"So, what exactly did you do?" Haymitch asks.

"Well, I just kinda threw some heavy objects," Peeta replies.

"O...kay?" Haymitch replies. "How 'bout you Prim?" He asks, his voice hinting that he wants something a bit better.

"Well, I got a slingshot in my hand then hid in a corner, then kinda ran around to a few different hiding places, without them seeing me and then just shot some targets with the slingshot," I answer.

Haymitch raises his eyebrow. "Not bad."

Once dinner is over, we go over to the sitting room, to go see the scores of course.

The career tributes all get an average of 9, which is pretty normal for a career. Everyone else...well no one really stands out. I noticed that Noah got a 6, pretty good I guess.That sly looking District 5 girl got a five, and Rue got a seven- that's a pretty high score for a 12 year old girl. Now it's time for our scores, Peeta and mine.

"Peeta, District 12 with a score of...8," Caesar announces on the screen.

"And finally, Prim with a score of...7!" Then the anthem plays and the screen goes black.

"Well done, you two!" Effie squeals. Haymitch just gives us a smile.

*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。

Katniss's POV

I sit in our small, dark, and cold living room, with Mother. Waiting for them to televise the tributes training scores. I am worried for Prim. I'm afraid of losing her, and I'm afraid of how terrified and scared she would be now. I put these thoughts aside as I turn on the TV. Something I still don't understand is how the Capitol is able to provide these high tech televisions that project images and music for us, but not food, houses, or things like that. People actually die from hunger here in the Seam.

The Capitol logo flashes on the screen, then the anthem plays. Soon the screen changes to Caesar Flickerman, the person who runs the show interviews and announcements every year. I can't really concentrate on what he is saying. How is Prim doing? What is she thinking right now? What did she show the Gamemakers?

They start showing the training scores, starting from District 1 boy who get's a 9, followed by the other careers, then the rest of the tributes. The District 11 girl catches my eyes, as she reminds me of Prim. She surprisingly receives a 7. That's a high score for a twelve year old. Then there's Peeta, who get's an 8. Then finally Prim. When her picture flashes across the screen it reminds me of all the memories and I almost cry. Oh poor Prim, she never deserved this. None of these kids deserved this. Watching the games, especially with my sister just helps my hate for the Capitol to grow. Then I see the number flash on the screen, a 7.

"Well done Prim. Stay strong. No matter what. For Mother, for Father. For me."

*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。

I'm happy with my seven, and so is Peeta with his eight.

"Great job Prim," Peeta tells me, patting my back. I smile.

"You too!"

I wonder if Katniss watched the scores today. Of course she did, I mean why would she miss it. I walk back to my room and change into a simple pink sleeping gown with ruffled sleeves. When I lay down in bed, I fall asleep almost immediately.

Next morning I wake up and instinctually walk to the dinning room.

"It's a big day. A big day!" Effie emphasizes as I walk in. She's talking with Haymitch and Peeta.

"Interview day, right?" I ask, taking a seat. I receive a bowl of stew with tender chunks, of lamb, and dried plums. An odd combination but it does taste wonderful.

"It is interview day, indeed!" Effie exclaims. Then Haymitch clears his throat and says,

"And our Mr. Mellark has some things that we would like to keep private. Hence, you'll be coached separately for the interviews."

~A/N~ Sorry for the short chapter, but I do hoped you enjoyed it.

Thank you guys all so much for your support. I want to recognize a few people. First @HUNGERGAMESGAL11, thank you so much for voting on every single one of my chapters. I know that it isn't too much work but it really means a lot to me. Also to these people: @Nerdlogics200, @read_write_eat_ride,@katniss1000,@booklover_paige_20, and @Prophecy_Writer_64.

Again, thank you guys all so much for the support.  You guys are amazing. I will be dedicating the next few chapters to the people I recognized and also people that read, vote, and comment on my story. 

Also...Surprise! with a small bit of Katniss's POV :) I bet none of you saw that coming. I didn't either. Comment and tell me if you like it, and if I should do some more in the next chapters too. 

-Monica