Chapter 16: Destroying

Rue falls asleep quickly; she must be tired. I close my eyes and try to sleep but I am constantly thinking in my head. How are we going to destroy the food? What about Noah? What would we do after the Career's die? What if we are the last two people?

I am so sleepy and I just fall asleep.

Boom! I wake up to the sound of a cannon. Rue's already awake, and I see that she has something in her hands.

"Who do you think just died?"

"I dunno..."

"Well, at least there is one death, so I guess the gamemakers won't send anything too big for a while."

"Hopefully."

"So what do you have in your hands?"

"Oh, just two eggs. From some type of water bird."

"We can't cook them so let's just eat them raw."

"I guess,"

Rue and I crack a hole in the eggs and suck out the insides. Then we eat some of the shoe food. Roots, berries, plants, and nuts.

"So, how're we gonna destroy the food?"

"I'm not sure exactly, but destroying is easier than making,"

"Well, Noah's given us information that there are mines around the food supplies, on the floor. Well...in the floor, if that makes sense."

"I guess we could set of the mines with stones, using the slingshot,"

"Yea, but then we would only blow up one of them,"

"That's true."

"Can you cut through something with a slingshot?"

"Well if the ammo is something sharp..."

"Well maybe there will be something in the pile we can knock down, and it could set off the mines and blow up the food,"

"If we activate one of the mines near the food, wouldn't it just blow up the food anyways?"

"Okay, but it's risky. Still, let's try it."

"So...details?"

"Well we've got to get the careers somewhere else, other than their camp."

"We can lure them into the woods, like set a fire and they'll come after us."

"So then after we set the fire, let's run to the cornucopia, making sure we're not caught, and we can figure out the blowing up stuff then."

"Sure, hopefully it goes smoothly."

"Well then, let's go build a fire!"

We find some leaves, wood, and other things that will easily catch on fire. Then as soon as we light the fire, we set out one of the bunnies and follow him to the stream. Assuming that the careers will go straight to the fire, not following along the stream. That would be terrible. So Rue and I run along the stream to their camp. And sure enough, the careers are gone. They left Noah there to keep guard. Yesterday confirmed that he won't kill us so I'm not afraid.

Rue and I make sure not to go too close to the supplies, since we know about the mines. We hide behind the bushes and then we see someone running. It's Jacqueline. She's running to the pile of food. Well she's gonna get killed by the mines. Or not.

She must have figured out about the mines, because she hops and makes sure not to activate them. She must be really smart. Noah on the other hand doesn't notice. Well Jacqueline is really quiet so I guess unless he sees her, he won't know. And the supplies block her from his sight. After Jacqueline grabs what she needs, she hops back out of the trap and runs away. That's when Rue and I decide to go up to Noah, since the careers will be back soon.

"What are you guys doing here?!" He whispers.

"We're gonna destroy the food," I say.

"What are you crazy? The careers will kill you!"

"Yeah but if they don't have food, they'll die faster"

"...You do have a point."

"Well you wanna go with us? 'Cause...I'm pretty sure they won't let you live when they see what's happened to their supplies."

"Ah...yeah. I'll stick with you two."

For a moment we all just stand there and let the silence sit in. Then he says,

"So, what are you guys planning to do?"

"Use a slingshot to hit one of the mines, activate it, and hope the pile explodes."

"Smart!"

"Hey Noah, when you set the mines, did you place them so that they activate each other when one explodes?"

"Yup, learned from the best!"

"Okay then, we'll just hit one of the mines. Prim? Do you want to do it? Or should I?"

"You're better at this. Definitely you."

"Okay then, read? One, two, three!"

Rue aims and shoots. Her stone hits a mine, it blows up, and the three of us are blown backwards into the air.

~A/N~ Ok, so Noah's joined them now. Is it a good thing or bad thing? That's for you to decide. With a larger crew they can be spotted more easily, they would need more food, and have more people that the individual has to kill if the three of them are left in the end. But also they have another person to help them fight and watch their backs. I think Noah is actually a pretty nice addition to the crew, since we've only seen how two 12 year old girls are spending their time in the arena, and now we can see a 14 year old boy as well. What are your thoughts about Noah being added into their alliance? Comment down below! 

-Monica