Chapter 13: Fire and Water

Instincts tell me to yell, but I know that will only make things worse.

Think Prim, think! I chide myself. Then I remember my conversation with Rue yesterday. Three knocks means danger. I knock thrice on the side of the tree. I knock hard, wanting to be heard. I crawl out of my tree and the heat is so hot that I immediately start to sweat. I can hear Rue as she crawls out of her hole.

"What's happening!" She panics.

"I don't know, but one thing's for sure, we gotta get out of here!" I answer as we both grab our shoes. I check to see if Bunny is in there, and luckily he is. He's still sleeping, safe and sound.

The fire wall is coming from the direction of the stream. We are going to have to leave this place.

"Don't you think we should drink some water? We might not see any for a few days," Rue says over the sound of trees burning.

"Yea, but we better hurry!" I yell. We both take sips of water and make sure Bunny drinks up too. Then we run. We run away, the fire behind us. Ready to burn us to our death.

"I hate those gamemakers," I mutter under my breath.

"Prim, we're on camera!" Rue scolds.

"As if I could ever forget," I sigh. We keep running. There is no stopping.

"I feel like I'm going to collapse!"

"Me too, but we really have to go!" Rue exclaims.

"I can't, I'm so tired!" I manage to say. I'm really really tired. I seriously think I'm gonna collapse soon. Rue sighs.

"Get on my back," she says.

"No, no. You'll be tired," I say as we keep run, well more like jogging now.

"Well then we gotta run!" Rue exclaims.

I drag myself across the arena, trying to keep in step next to Rue. My only possessions- shoes, slingshot, and our furry friend. I start falling towards the ground, and I collapse. I remember falling hard, and then everything going black.

*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。

Katniss' POV

Prim! Prim no!

I watch the screen as a wall of fire chases Prim and her ally Rue. They are having some sort of conversation as they run, but you can't hear their words. You can only hear the roar of the fire. Both of the little girls aren't wearing their shoes and are carrying them. "Oh well, I guess the weight of the shoes would slow them down," I mutter under my breath, trying to be positive, which I am terrible at.

What is going to happen to Prim? When will the fire wall go down?

What about Peeta? I watched him with the career pack yesterday. That traitor. People from Twelve never ever run with the career pack. I am so frustrated. With both Peeta, and Prim being in the games. I hate the Capitol. I absolutely, most positively do.

*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。

The next time I open my eyes, I feel a sharp pain on my leg. I'm on the ground and I start to stir a bit as I hear a voice.

"Are you up?"

It's Rue. I try to sit up and fail horribly.

"Yeah. But I'm not really feeling too well. What happened?" I ask.

"Well, you kinda fell and uh, collapsed. You were on the floor, and the fire wall was behind us. I didn't know what to do. I only had two hands, so I had to leave your shoes there. I took the slingshot out and transferred it into mine. Oh and Bunny too. Then I had to heap you up on my back, and well, carry you. I ran for quite a long time, and I was tired. At one point I wasn't running fast enough and well the fire wall caught up and...and then...I'm so sorry Prim~!" Rue says and bursts into tears. "I couldn't even think properly, and the wall just came closer and closer. Your leg...your leg caught on fire and I didn't know what to do!" She cries.