Chapter 21: On a Pedestal in the Middle of the Arena

"You know, we could fall off the branches," Rue says.

"Yeah."

"Why don't we just tie ourselves to a tree?"

"With what?"

"Ropes."

"We don't have ropes."

"We could make some."

"With what?"

"I don't know, anything long,"

"Well, if you know what you're doing, sure! We don't have anything to do anyways,"

"Oh I know what I'm doing," she smiles.

Soon we're weaving with our small fingers weaving long blades of grass together to create a long rope. Honestly, it's kinda fun. I like doing crafts.

"So now we climb up again and tie ourselves with these ropes!" Rue exclaims.

"Great!"

We climb up and tie ourselves to big branches.

"Wow, it's really dark now," I think out loud.

"Time flies."

The anthem starts, and the Capitol logo flashes on the screen. There are no deaths tonight.

"There will be deaths tomorrow, it's the feast,"

"Yes, we need to be very careful,"

"Very very careful."

Then both of us drift off to sleep.

Both Rue and I wake up to the sound of trumpets.

"Good morning tributes! It is the day of the feast! But, we've had a...slight change. But it will be a huge surprise! Come to the feast to find that surprise, good luck~!" Claudius Templesmith finishes his announcement and Rue and I are left staring at each other.

"What do you think they will do now?"

"Anything. Those Gamemakers are so creative that they probably have over 100 ways to kill us," I say with a bitter laugh.

"Oh well, I guess we'll just observe from the tree, and decide if we should go or not."

"Yeah."

We un-tie ourself from the tree and decide to wait. We find mint leaves on the branches of the tree and chew them, to forget about our hunger.

Then we watch, as the ground in front of the cornucopia starts to move, and it splits into 2. Up come 5 pedestals. The number "2" is marked on the first pedestal. On it, a woman with sharp teeth. Then there is a little girl on a pedestal marked "5". She has red hair and pale skin. Just like Jacqueline. Then a pedestal marked "11" a grandma and a small little boy. And on "12"...it's Katniss.

I gasp. So does Rue.

Just then, Jacqueline runs out of the horn with an even paler face than normal. She grabs the girls hand and they start running into the forest. The little girl is small, and not too fast. Jacqueline picks her up and carries her and starts to run again. The little girl doesn't say a word.

"Let's go!" Rue urges. "What if Cato and Clove come and kill them!"

And by "them", I know she is talking about her little brother, and Katniss.

"Ok, let's go."

*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。

Katniss's POV

My situation? I'm standing on a pedestal in the middle of the arena, waiting for someone to either come and rescue me or kill me. I stand nervously, and also a bit excited that I may be able to see Prim.

Last night, Peacekeepers came to our house and dragged me out. Mother had tears in her eyes, she had lost a husband, a daughter, and her other daughter was being dragged away by Peacekeepers. They shoved me into a car and drove me away to a foreign place, but I knew we are getting close to the Capitol. I just did.

When we arrived at the arena, they put me into some new launch room, along with five other people. And without a warning, I was shot up into the battle of death.

So that's why I'm on a pedestal in the middle of the arena.

*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。*・。

"On the count of three," Rue says.

"One..two...three!" We both count and we dart over to the pedestals. We aren't lucky, because Clove does too. She throws a knife at me and dodge to the side. It barely misses my face and slashes my braid, and my hair comes lose. I am scared to death. I watch as she aims her second knife at the pedestal marked 11. She is just about to let go of the knife, when Thresh crashes into her.

"Were you about to throw that knife?!" He exclaims.

"No, no! I wasn't!" Clove tries to deny but it had been obvious.

"Don't lie to me! You were going to kill them!" Thresh says, eyeing the grandma and little boy on the pedestal. Rue and I are wide eyed as we just watch. Because we came to see Thresh, and here he is, and also Cato could come crashing in any time.

"Cato! Cato!" Clove screeches when Thresh picks up a huge rock. He smashes it on Clove's skull and the damage is clear. A huge dent along the side of her face. Her life has come to an end.

"What are you guys doing here?!" Thresh exclaims to us as he goes over to the pedestal marked "11".

"We came here to rescue these people..."

"And find you!" Rue exclaims as she also walks over to the pedestal with her brother. I walk over to Katniss.

"Katniss!" I exclaim and pull her into a deep hug.

"Primrose," she whispers as she caresses me.

"Katniss, we gotta go," I say as I grab her hand.

"Okay, let's go," she says.

I look over at Rue. The little boy is hugging her leg, and on her left is Thresh and the grandma.

"I guess we split up now," she says quietly. I nod.

"Good luck, be safe," I tell her as I pull her into a hug.

"You too."

Rue walks away into the plains, with the new people that she reunited with. Katniss and I walk towards the caves. As we walk, I look back and see Cato running over to Clove.

"Clove! No...no!" He exclaims as he collapses on the ground next to Clove's body.

"No! Stay with me! Clove please, stay with me!" He sobs. The cannon sounds, and I turn around again and keep walking.

~A/N~ Short but sad chapter. I feel bad for Cato, mourning over Clove's corpse. I always wished they had that scene in the movie, but nope. It's just in the book. But it's in my fan fic too. 

I am still wondering about how I am going to put Katniss into the story, and all these new twists. Do you guys think the twist will be exciting? I'm really excited about writing it so I'm guessing you'll be excited about reading it. 

Dedication to @laurlaurwall, welcome to the story.  

I don't know how soon I will update, for sure on Monday since that's the uploading schedule. Maybe I'll do an extra chapter tomorrow, or just during the week. Hope you guys are enjoying. Thank you all so much for the reads, comments, and votes. Love ya! 

-Monica