Chapter 7: Training Day

I wake up after having a sweet dream about Katniss, me and her at home as if it were a normal day. But it isn't. It's training day. I walk over to the shower and wash my hair using a few buttons and drying doesn't take too long either. When I come out I notice that there is a set of clothes already picked for me. Black pants, a burgundy tunic, leather shoes. I feel like I look different than the normal me. It looks more like...Katniss.

No one calls for me, but I still decide to go down to eat. I'm hungry anyways. I find that the chairs are empty, but the table has plates and silverware. I notice Lavinia coming from the kitchen, bringing me food. I smile. She just gives me a brief nod and a small smile. Who knows what would happen if she get's caught, exchanging smiles and glances with a tribute. I eat the bacon and eggs as I think about Katniss. She would be going to school, mother making remedies for the apothecary.

My thoughts are interrupted by Haymitch and Peeta's entrance. They come into the dining room and fill their plates with food. I notice that Peeta is wearing a similar, no, the same outfit as me. Once everyone's settled in and eating, I go back to my own thoughts. Different thoughts.

I think about the training, that we will be starting very soon. It will go on for three days. That's my chance to learn more survival skills and maybe pick up a few weapons. Oh, and also form alliances.

"So, let's get down to business. Training. First off, if you like, I'll coach you separately. Decide now."

"Um...why?" I ask, a bit confused.

"Maybe you have some secret weapon," Haymitch says, "That you don't want the other to know about."

"I don't have any," I say truthfully. It is true. Although I know how to heal people or find edible plants and berries, I know zero fighting skills.

"Nothing secret," Peeta says.

"Oh well then, I'll coach you together," Haymitch sums up. I notice how sober he is compared to other days.

I look at Peeta and he just nods.

"Oh well then, so...what can you guys do?" Haymitch questions.

I decide to go first, since Peeta is just keeping quiet.

"I can run quickly, I'm fast. I'm small and light so I can hide easily or move without making noises. I can heal people, I can find edible plants and berries. I'm good with animals," I explain.

"Well I'll consider that. But I don't think being good with animals is gonna help you much, sweetheart," Haymitch says. "Now how 'bout you Peeta?"

Peeta thinks.

"I can lift heavy...objects." He finally says.

"That's it?" Haymitch checks with him. He shrugs.

"He frosts cakes, so I bet he can do camouflage," I inform Haymitch.

"You...frost cakes," Haymitch breaths.

"Oh well then, I guess I'll work it out. Prim might stand a chance at this. She'll get enough sponsors. But Peeta, you've got to work on it," pause. "When you go to the training center, don't reveal your best skills. Instead, learn some new skills. Prim, you learn a weapon or two. And Peeta, you've got the strength so just find something that suits you."

And with that, Haymitch is gone. I stand up to leave too. I turn to say bye to Peeta, but he says, "You might actually stand a chance at this thing,"

I don't know what to say.

"You'll try your best too, won't you?" I ask. He shrugs.

"I'm not a killer. I don't want to be someone that I'm not. I want to show them, the Capitol, that...that I'm not just a piece in one of their games," he says.