Chapter 15: Life Get's Better

"So, who's left?" I ask. Rue and I ran for a very long time before finally stopping at some bushes we could hide in.

"I don't know, let's figure it out."

"The three careers, since Glimmer's dead," I say thoughtfully. "And I think Noah too."

"And also the District 5 girl," Rue adds. "I met her at training, in the edible plants and berries station. Her name's Jacqueline."

"So that makes five," I calculate.

"Then there is us," Rue says. I nod.

"And Peeta and Thresh."

"That makes nine of us. No one else?"

"I think there's one more, but we can figure that out later."

"Yeah. In the mean time, let's find something to eat," Rue suggests.

"Yes, I am starving! So, what should we get?"

"I don't know, let's start simple. Berries, plants, nuts, or maybe roots?"

"Sure!"

It's not too hard to find what we want, probably because both of us can identify these very well. Soon we're both back and our shoes are filled to the brink. Well, not to the very top but more than three quarters full. We decide that we are going to need water, so we let Bunny take the lead and we follow him as we eat the food we have collected.

Bunny is one of the best things that we have, because it's like a secret way to find water. It's his own habitat so he knows his way around. Our mini guide leads us to a stream, where we take huge gulps of water and wash up.

"I wonder if this is the same stream that we came across a few days ago," Rue says.

"Or how big this whole arena is," I wonder.

"Well at least life's getting better for us now," Rue says. I smile.

"Yeah. But you know, we shouldn't get too comfortable. Remember what happened last time?"

"How could I forget. The fire wall,"

After we had washed, cooled down, and eaten quite a lot of berries, we decided that it was time for a proper meal.

"Let's go hunting!" Rue exclaims. I bite my tongue. It's hard to see a hurt animal and just leave it to die, let alone eat it. But I know this is for my survival, so I go along. "Okay sure. So what are we gonna do?"

"We'll use the slingshots of course," Rue beams.

"What are we waiting for? Let's go!" I say and we take out the sling shots. We decide not to go too far, and come back to the stream.

"How are we going to communicate?" I ask.

"Mockingjays," Rue says. I look down at my pin.

"You mean these?"

"Sure I do. They can repeat tunes, so we can contact each other with these guys, and we can respond back, to show the other that we are safe."

With that, she whistles four clear notes. Beautiful. My four note reply isn't as awesome but it will do.

So both of us start hunting. Rue is excited, but me? I don't want to kill innocent animals. I remember, back in District 12, Katniss tried to teach me how to hunt. She shot a deer, and all I could think about was how I could help it and heal it once we got home. I know I'm not really the hunting type.

My burn starts to sting a little so I apply some of the ointment from the tin the Haymitch gave me. I eat a few berries, and that's when I spot a bird. I carefully take the slingshot and a stone out of the shoe. I gently put the shoe down on the floor and pull back the stone and then let it loose. The stone hits the bird and it falls on the floor. It's not quite dead and I find the arrow from my shoe- Rue has the knife- and stab the bird, and it quickly stops moving. I pull out the arrow and pick up the bird. And this isn't just a regular bird, it's a big bird. I start walking back to the creek, and I spot another one of these birds. I shoot that one as well. I use the arrow to kill it and then soon I'm back. I sit down and eat berries. I watch the water in the creek flow. Then I see a silhouette of a person walking towards me. I can't really make out who it is, but it's definitely not a career. They'd be in a pack, and this guy was way to small. If it is a guy. It could be a girl. Wait I think it's a guy. And he's cute.