7. Falling Apart

Time seems to be of little consequence when there are lives on the line, everywhere you turn. ZeWu Jun's world have fallen apart, for months he had no news of the his own kin, his uncle having send him into hiding with the sect secrets and his brother away to bring the yin iron, he can do nothing but find shelter in the forest caves, seek help on the run and be thankful for the aid of the tree spirit.

It has been increasingly difficult to hide with the Wen troops everywhere. One day, as he hides within the forest, the sound of the troops, cutting overgrowth and hacking away at leaves, too prominent, cursing his own cowardice in the name of Sect duties, he looks at the sky, the cloud, seeking help from the unknown.

The help flashes by, not in the form of a deity but in the form of courage. Flying purple robes, balanced majestically on Sandu. That wasn't Sandu. Was it a borrowed spiritual tool? He seems to have grown up, an urgent expression on his face. Alone, flying through the clouds. Where he is going, where he comes from, he had no time to ponder, the soldier is right behind him now. He has his sword and his flute, without another thought he unsheathes Zhuoyue and charges.

He never stops again, never hides again. Only seven days. A week was all it took for him to annihilate those in his path. Why did he not do it before? Was he afraid of it? What kind of Sect Leader was he?

-------

Lan Xichen closed his eyes for the first time.

He had no count of how many days have passed after winning back Cloud Recess and Gusu from the Wen clutches. A week of such exhaustion that he felt his spiritual energy drain as the day came to an end. He found the act of blinking very heady. His lashes didn't want to come apart.

"That is it for today." Lan Xichen knew he needed to sit down but he needed to conclude today's meeting with his disciples before he did that. As everyone turned their back, he found the simple act of blinking a little too heavy. He couldn't pry his eyes open even as he heard his Uncle call his name.

"Brother." he felt his brother's hand on his arm before nothingness took over.

Dark.

Someone was talking.

Why was it so dark, he peeled his eyes open. Midday. He was in his room. Muffled voices.

He tried to move his body but no. The heaviness in his limbs refused his will. He remembered. He had exhausted himself. He had passed out.

"Brother." Lan Xichen turned his head to see Lan Wangji walk in.

"How many days have I been out?"

"Over three days now." All his muscles groaned as he moved to sit up. He tightened his jaw and let his spiritual energy flow through his body as he fell back. After a few minutes, he was as good as new.

He sat up.

"How is everything?" Wangji seems to think about his answer before speaking.

"Everything is well in Gusu." Lan Xichen seems to sense bad news. Why was his heart pounding, his body broke out in a sweat as he stood, waiting for his brother to speak.

"Yunmeng has been captured by the Wen Clan. Sect Leader Jiang and his wife are dead. Their children are missing."

The world seemed to tilt until he felt a hand from his brother, supporting him. This is not the time to lose oneself. He wanted to pick Shuoyue and fly over himself but showing his face in Wen territory will only worsen the situation. What can he do? He looked at his brother's distress. Wei Wuxian.

"Instruct some disciples to travel. Look for Master Jiang..." he paused to correct himself, "Young Sect Leader Jiang and his siblings. Bring them to safety. Instruct the disciples for safe travel."

Wangji went out of the room with instructions while Lan Xichen remembered the pain of losing one's parents. At least, he still had their uncle, does he have someone?

"Jiang Wanyin. Be safe."

------

Jiang Cheng stood at the gates of Cloud Recess, remembering a time, which seemed so long ago when he felt the coldness of a jade pendant under a simple ornate box. They were still sitting somewhere in his room, packed with the rest of his belongings from Cloud Recess. How was he to get in?

Did ZeWu Jun really mean to fulfil the promise of friendship he once bestowed upon Jiang Cheng? The skip in his heart as the serene smile passed in his memory still made his heart skip but it did not beat wildly. Was it not capable anymore? Maybe he had suffered too deeply and his heart was tired to look at the love that was too far out of his reach.

He can't be thinking of these things, Lives were at stake, Wei Wuxian was missing. He pounded against the walls of the magical boundaries with Zidian. Thunder roared across the clear sky and the energy shimmered before his eyes.

Disciples rushed forward with their swords drawn but he stood quietly, Zidian neatly on his

wrist instead of his finger. More and more disciples arrived until he saw Wangji himself.

"Wei Wuxian is missing." his brother was protecting him. This arrogant, gratitude-less Lan who stared back at him with the first emotion he had ever seen on Wangji; horror. He never had any thoughts towards Lan Wangji until the moment he saw his brother's partiality to the man who did all but throw him aside, again and again.

Would he be able to see the face of the other without any feeling of guilt for not standing up for Wangji, for asking? No. For demanding that Wei Wuxian not do it either. What face did he have to show up here and ask for help, only that Lan Wangji owed Wei Wuxian? But the look of utter devastation on Lang Wangji's face said something else.

Then he saw the one, he longed to see. ZeWu Jun descending from the sky on his sword like a wind spirit. His ribbon, hair and clothes fluttered behind him and added to his beauty. His heart dropped on the floor and he could do nothing but turn away.

"Jiang Cheng. Why do you not have the jade pass I gave you?" Seriously, that was the first thing that came from Zewu Jun. Jiang cheng looked at the people around them, at Wangji who gave no reaction to the intimate use of the name and clenched his teeth to stop himself from snapping at the most prominent cultivator in all of the sects.

"It is still somewhere in my home, hidden from the Wens' eyes but still at..." It was hard to continue saying the word, 'home'.

His home was gone. His life was in ruins. He looked around himself. Gusu was still recovering, what was he doing here?

"Brother. Wei Ying." Jiang Cheng's head snapped up as Lan Wangji's voice broke.

"What happened?"

Jiang Cheng told them about their separation, about their meeting point, not a single word was uttered in-betweens and he finished his tale.

"Come. There is much to discuss." They were still at the gates, all the disciples had dispersed, it was only the Lans and him at the entrance now as Sect Leader Lan extended a hand and Jiang Cheng flinched away from the memory of a hand extending to his core.

Jiang Cheng saw Sect Leader Lan's fingers curl within his palm as Lan Wangji walked ahead. They walked on in silence in companionable silence as Jiang Cheng breathed in relief that he came here before he went to the Nie sect. Before they entered the Elder Hall, ZeWu Jun paused.

"I know what it feels like to lose one's parents. I can't even begin to empathise with your pain of facing such violent circumstances. I promise to do everything I can for you to get your life back."

"I don't know if I can." Jiang Cheng was just grateful that he did not offer condolences. He wasn't ready to be a political sect leader, taking condolences. It was too early, too fresh, too raw.