17. Not Secluded

Jiang Cheng had waited until breakfast to approach ZeWu Jun. A disciple had informed him that the man was on a stroll around Lotus Pier. Early hours of the morning had brought him a message from Master Lan of a missing ZeWu Jun. He replied back immediately assuring ZeWu Jun's whereabouts, safety and earlier return. He had to calm himself and prepare for the parting.

Yesterday at been special and would be itched in his memory no matter where it went between them. He also knew that would never again be able to think about liking another with the way he felt around the Lan Sect Leader.

He found him after a single circle around the area. He was standing by Jiang Cheng's room, staring at the lake that had terrible memories of his drowning much to his embarrassment. He chose not to address the painful subject and calls, "Did you have a good sleep Sect Leader Lan?"

Jiang Cheng did not expect a full smile in return, "Yes. Very pleasant. And please, when it just the two of us, I really prefer Lan Huan over Sect Leader Lan."

Jiang Cheng did not respond, he Could Not. He had already broken the barrier and called him Lan Huan a few times, there was no point in saying he could not. He just looked into the lake and thought talking about drowning sounded so much better right now. After what seemed like a long time of silence where Jiang Cheng barely held himself, shifting from foot to foot, he came to remember why he was looking for Lan Xichen.

"Your uncle sent a message that you have been missing. We need to go back. I have told him that we are returning at the earliest."

"Do you want me to leave so soon?" Jiang Cheng almost gritted his teeth, what was with him and his sweet talk all of a sudden?

"It.. is the responsible thing to do." He looked at the man, frowning.

"But do you want me to do the responsible thing?" Jiang Cheng saw the storm, dipped lower to his lips and felt the need to quiver. What was he implying? Jiang Cheng felt his resolve to make some distance with this man crumble but he couldn't say what he wanted to.

"Let's just go. Master Lan is worried." he stormed off and heard the footsteps behind him. Without waiting, he climbed his sword and started away, not looking to see if Shuoyue followed. Only when he reached Cloud Recess nested within the mountain did he look behind him. As if ZeWu Jun was waiting for him to turn, the man took a sharp right and Jiang Cheng could do nothing but follow.

They were in the residential part of Cloud Recess. The trees were taller, older here and a single small pond sat in the corner. He didn't know lotuses grew here, in such a harsh environment. He didn't say anything, as the broad shoulders in front of him strode ahead after dismounting and opened a particular door. The inside was a cosy, two-story establishment. They had entered a sitting area where everything apart from the wood was in shades of white and light blue.

He understood where they were and backed out immediately. As if on cue, the person before him turned around,

"Wanyin, come in," the way Lan Xichen said his name, made him halt.

"Umm..." he hesitated. He didn't want to see the memories of Meng Yao or its effect on Lan Huan.

"I insist." Jiang Cheng could do nothing but step in. The room was bare. There was no sign of a living person but a self full of some books, a simple xiao, a jade carving and nothing else. The room seemed to have been bared down to basic furniture, sheets and rugs. Was it always like this? He knew ZeWu Jun particularly liked painting, many of his creations hung in Koi Tower and Unclean Sect throne room. Where were all the jade offerings Meng Yao had openly offered Sect Leader Lan at every other conference?

He didn't dare ask what he wanted to instead asked, "Why are we here?"

"I have been to your living space, with our closeness, it is only fair you know where I live. Besides, I wanted to show you that I have removed every piece of his memories from the room."