19. Broken

It's been a month and Lan Xichen only grows restless every day. A month since the visit. A month since stolen passionate kisses, a month since their parting and a month since they last saw each other.

Lan Xichen longed to send a message. Ask for his well being. At this point, he could even be okay with seeing him from afar. He knew Wanyin was busy organising the conference for Jins in preparation for Jin Ling's return. He was too busy with the back and forth duties of the two sects. He had declined all help, his included. His mind knew the cause but his heart longed and longed for a sight. He just couldn't send a message. They were not in a sort of relationship where they would upkeep each other on the happening at their end. What kind of a relationship they were in? He didn't know. All he knew was what he wanted.

In the past month, his mind couldn't help but race in many directions as he mulled over the possibility of acceptance and rejection and his future from thereon. There was something between them but would Wanyin accept him if he professed again? He could only hope. Even if he did accept, what was their future? They both had responsibilities. And if he rejected, what would Lan Xichen do? One thing was sure, he could never go back to the way things were. His heart would keep longing and he would keep pursuing. When it came to matters of the heart, he had to learn from Wangji.

So, now, here he sat reliving their kisses found in silent rooms and empty corners. Over that week, he had ended up wanting more and more. Wanting to hold his hand, touch his blush, put his frown to rest, whisk him away to privacy, kiss his forehead and so on it went. A disciple pulled his mind to present and conveyed his uncle's message that made his day brighter instantly.

"Sect Leader Lan, Master Lan asks for your presence in the elder hall. Sect Leader Jiang is here to see you."

"Very well." the disciple was quickly on his way and so was he.

There were more people in the elder hall than expected. Wangji had been called too and Master Wei sat by his side, boiling their uncle's blood as he leaned on the table with his head resting in his palm and his arm resting on the table.

After bowing to each other, Lan Xichen heard a soft, "Sit properly." from his brother and Master Wei's casual response, "It's only family," burned Wangji's ears.

His uncle, having clearly heard that, perhaps meant for him too, cleared his throat and Lan Xichen felt like laughing at the change Master Wei's presence had brought to the family.

"You haven't been married," Uncle reprimanded Master Wei only for him to smile bigger and inquire politely, "then, can I marry Lan Zhan?"

"No." It was a usual discussion these days, so much so that Wangji had stopped blushing at Master Wei's casual inquiries about marriage.

But something different happened today. Wanyin was here and asked politely, "May I ask Grandmaster Lan, why?"

Lan Xichen had expected his uncle's glare to turn from Master Wei to Wanyin but it did not. Instead, his uncle looked uncomfortable and averted his eyes quickly, refusing to answer. Lan Xichen did not expect Wanyin's eyes to turn to him for an answer. What could he say? As his habit wanted to subdue the situation.

"Wangji and Master Wei have my blessings as a Sect Leader and as a brother, however uncle is the elder in the family and his approval is absolutely necessary." If Lan Xichen thought that the look of satisfaction on his uncle's face was the end of the topic, it wasn't.

"I understand. As a sect leader and brother, I too give them my blessing." Lan Xichen ignored the playful look or heart attack, Master Wei feigned on the table, instead watched his uncle scrunching his face much like a replica of Wanyin.