9. A Moment

Lan Xichen looked about the battlefield, trying not to look frantic, just letting his eyes roam between the lost souls, Wens and some corpses. The ornate box was nowhere to be found. He couldn't bring himself to ask anyone, nor go about looking for himself. He couldn't emphasis the finding of the object.

The distress of losing the first-ever thing he received from Jiang Cheng was so high that he did not see Lan Wangji standing right behind him when he turned around. If it weren't for the trained composure of the two brothers, the surprise on both faces would have been evident. Both of them stepped away, neither too quick, nor too slowly. Every step looked intentional but the brothers understood each other.

"Are you looking for this?" Lan Wangji held out the box and Lan Xichen smiled. Even though he couldn't sigh, his heart did. He took the box from his hands but encountered another problem. His sleeves were torn severely and his lapels would not be able to hold the object. Lan Wangji seems to understand.

He held out his hand, "Will have it delivered to your room."

Lan Xichen knew that his unwillingness to part with the object was irrational, so he placed it in his brother's hand. But he wasn't smiling anymore.

------

Jiang Cheng stepped into the large room but his feet paused seeing Sect Leader Lan standing between Sect Leader Nie and Meng Yao.

"He was the one who saved me while I was on the run." ZeWu Jun's arms were behind his back, forming a backward defensive cage with his body around Meng Yao.

Jiang Cheng could feel everything crumbling around him.

I don't have to inflict this upon myself, he thought before he turned around and intended to fly to his brother. It wasn't that simple.

"Sect Leader Jiang. What an achieved cultivator you are. At such a young age too!" One of the Sect Leader, he hadn't recognised all of their names, came forward to praise. Where were they when he needed them for trade routes and peace treaties? Turning up to take credit and share glory for Wen demise.

He grimaced, gave a curt courtesy and kept moving. He had to find a familiar face before he suffocated. He does see familiar faces. A mass of golden robes flooding the scene. Then they pause.

"Are we late?" Sect Leader Jin looked around at the mayhem. Pretentious Peacock, Wei Wuxian's voice rings in his head and he sweeps his eyes across the landscape.

"You are here. That is what matters." Jiang Cheng turned to match the calm peaceful tone with the same expression. Just looking at him and at Meng Yao at his heels, making Jiang Cheng feel exhausted. He is truly exhausted.

Turns out he can't leave yet as Sect Leader Jin assembles everyone to the throne room.

------

Lan Xichen knows why he feels like his chest would burst. Everywhere he turns is full of praises for Sect Leader Jiang. He feels a certain pride swell in him, even as he stands with discomfort amongst the Jin Clan.

"You have done your part, let me look over the rest."

"We do not want to trouble you Sect Leader Jin." Lan Xichen speaks as their representative.

"This is the least I could do Sect Leader Lan." He bowed deeply and Lan Xichen's eyes met Jiang Cheng's who looked between the man and Xichen with a deepened grimace.

He wasn't happy with the situation and he could see, neither was Sect Leader Jiang.

-------

Jiang Cheng knows he is fretting unnecessarily.