𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

My breath caught in my throat when we entered the long hallway of heavy steel doors, hiding the most dangerous criminals behind them. It was a shocker that Zemo was included. However, considering the damage he caused to the UN and to my mind, I didn't feel bad.

"His cell is just down this corridor." The guard spoke, making my gaze move to see Bucky.

"I'll go in alone," Bucky whispered, to which Sam and I both gave disapproving looks.

"Why?" Sam whispered.

"Because you're an Avenger, you know how he feels about that."

"It's not like you two have been known for frolickin' in the sun together either." Sam hissed, to which I clasped my hands together and looked down.

Bucky lowered his voice, "He was obsessed with HYDRA. We have a history together, trust me."

My eyes widened at that, moving between the two and looking up at them. "So... just because you have a history with HYDRA means you all of a sudden go in on your own? Bullshit, he was obsessed with both of us. I'm going in."

I started to walk down the corridor before a metallic grip latched onto my forearm, pulling me back to meet his eyes again. "You're not going in there while your mind is still weak."

My eyes widened at that, immediately pulling out of his grip and rubbing my arm. "Excuse you, but my mind isn't weak. And I wouldn't be putting myself at so much risk if you hadn't left me."

"Would you drop that already! Why is that the only thing you ever think about?!" Bucky called after me as I followed the guard through to Zemo's cell.

I ignored his words, listening to the buzzer of the steel door as it opened to a thick glass barrier between me and Zemo's cell.

"Желание."

I shivered at the sudden pain in the back of my head. I kept walking, but Zemo's voice continued.

"Ржавый."

My nails dug into the fresh bandages on my palms. Bucky entered the room behind me, his arm snaking around my waist and pulling him back against his chest. I winced, the throbbing pain only growing worse.

"Семнадцать."

I turned my head to face Bucky's chest, gripping the fabric of his shirt as I panted. "Stop..."

"Those days are over, Zemo," Bucky spoke, holding me close to his chest as Zemo stepped out of his shadow.

"I know they're over for you... but for her." Zemo smirked down at me, as if I were his prey. "I just wanted to see how the new you responded to the old words."

"Well, I clearly respond fantastically, dickhead..." I mumbled into Bucky's shirt.

Bucky stood steadfastly by the window as Zemo neared. My grip on his shirt got tighter. Zemo stared into Bucky's eyes, analyzing him. "Something is still in there." He whispered. I felt Bucky's chest tense up under my touch. "At least... you both were not conscious for most of your imprisonment... Bless your father's heart, Lucille."

My brows furrowed in anger as I turned back to him. "For what it's worth, I'm sorry. It was never personal." He spoke, "You both were simply a means to a necessary end."

"Look where that got you, smartass. Thrown in jail." I whispered, finally relating the fabric of Bucky's shirt and standing beside him.

"Someone recreated the super-soldier serum." Bucky mentioned, "I need to find out who."