𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

It's time I tell the story of just how I know Sarah Wilson.

LOUISIANA, 2016

I thought I was going to be left in a pit of misery for the rest of my days in the raft. Stuck with Sam's encouraging words that one day I would find Bucky again. However, it wasn't until I could see a familiar face with a head of blonde hair emerge from the darkness in front of my cell.

I had asked Steve repeatedly where Bucky was, but his only response was ever "he's getting help" or "you'll be able to see him soon". I despised him for trying to trick me into believing I would see him anytime soon.

Turns out, the man told Steve not to tell me where he was. In fear that I would start worrying or trying to look for him. His plan backfired because, for the next two years, all I thought about was him. Hell, I even considered him dead for a while to try and move on. But nothing worked.

Sam took me in considering how terrible my mental state was at the time. He brought me to his home, an old fishing town on the coast of the ocean. I remember the air to be clear, like fresh daisies mixed with the smell of hot coffee in the morning. Most likely one of the best things my senses have ever experienced.

My footsteps were as light as possible when I walked into the home. Despite the slightly older appearance on the outside, the inside was nice. An apple pie was cooling on the windowsill, the breeze gently ruffling the curtains as I set my only backpack down on the wooden coffee table.

The thunder of footsteps cascaded their way into the kitchen, revealing two small boys running around and chasing one another. They couldn't be over the age of five at the time. A boy a little smaller than the other smashed right into my leg, falling on his butt. I gasped, kneeling down to check if he was alright, but instead, he laughed. His older brother picked him off the ground, and so they took off running in the other direction.

I never had any siblings when I was growing up. My father told me I was an only child, though, not like I could remember my early childhood much at all. I've always wondered what it would be like to have your own built-in playmate.

Sam appeared behind me, setting his own bag down. "Those are my sister's kids. Cass is the older one, and little AJ is the one who just gave you a facepalm for a greeting."

"They're sweet..." I whispered, looking back at him. "So... this sister of yours? When do I get to meet her?"

"Right now, sweetheart." A woman's voice came from the living room, where a woman with gorgeously braided hair was sitting. She stood, adjusting the cardigan on her shoulders. "Sarah Wilson, it's a pleasure to meet you, Lucy."

My eyes widened slightly in surprise at how sweet she was. Only Sam and Bucky had even welcomed me with such a tender tone. "How do you know my name?"

"Sam's told me a boatload about you over the past year. I'm happy he's finally brought you to meet the rest of the family." She smiled.

I couldn't help but smile right back. It was the first time a genuine one had ever spread across my lips since Bucky and I had last been together. There were people that had understood my trauma, I was just looking in the wrong places.

I cleared my throat and held out a hand, "Thank you, Sarah... and Sam. Both of you. For being so kind as to let me stay here for a few weeks."

Sarah grabbed my hand and - instead of shaking it - pulled me into a bear hug. My first instinct was to flinch away from the touch, but I let myself relax into her chest. My arms wrapped tightly around her, a smile spreading across my lips.

"I think you and I are going to be good friends." I heard Sarah whisper.

I nodded and gently pulled away from her embrace, "I think so too..."

...

I laid back against the dock, letting out a deep breath and cracking my beer open. The bottle cap clattered to the ground, tilting it up and letting the cold liquid cascade down my throat. I let out a breath, shaking my head.

"I wish alcohol still affected me." I whispered under my breath, clicking my tongue and setting the bottle down.

Bucky and Sam were talking with themselves while I enjoyed a cold one without the after-effects. Bucky finished off his bottle, standing up from the barrel and peering down at me.

"Well, we might as well leave now so we can catch our flight." He spoke, extending a hand out to me. I nodded and grabbed his open hand, finishing off my bottle and throwing it across the dock into a trash can.

Sam shook his head, "You two should just stay here! Why would you go out of your way to go back to Brooklyn?"

I nodded and laughed, leaning against the wooden pillar of the old run-down dock. "Yeah, I've gotta go home and figure out my housing situation with Buck. Plus, I wouldn't want to burden any of you with taking up space." I confessed, rubbing the back of my neck.

Sam sighed, "Alright, then I'll just convince you both to stay. Lucy, don't you want to catch up with Sarah and the kids? And Bucky, don't you want some time away from your apartment floor?"

"For your information, I like the bedroom floor." Bucky protested, crossing his arms and shaking his head.

I looked down and contemplated his words for a moment, "Actually... I wouldn't mind getting to know the kids now that they're a bit older." I whispered.

Bucky's eyes widened, "No- no no no, we need to go home, Lucy."

Sam smiled in response, "See! She gets it. Now you two can sleep downstairs, I understand that you both being very... up close and personal with each other..." he winked.

Bucky and I's cheeks flustered at those words, a shiver flying down my spine. "Y-you don't know that... haha..."

Sam laughed, "Oh no, I do. I remember that night before it's you two in the hotel room. You two were as loud as can be."

Bucky looked down at me and narrowed his eyes, "I told you to keep quiet!" he hissed under his breath.

"It was my first time having sex in a few years! I wasn't used to it!" I hissed back, blushing and looking away with a pout.

Sam chuckled, "I think you two should work out your sex differences here, alright? Keep PDA PG, or I swear to god I will bat you to hell and back with that shield."

Bucky and I nodded, "Understood... Captain." Bucky snickered, covering his mouth. "What? You're not used to the title yet? Get used to it, honey." He walked off, grabbing another beer from the cart and opening it as he left the dock.

"You've got one hell of a man, Lucy..." Sam whispered, shaking his head and laughing.

"I know, Sammy... But I wouldn't trade him for the world."

...

a/n

hey guys! just a quick note that if the flashbacks seem a bit out of order for the next few chapters, i apologize! I'm closing up story arcs for bucky and lucy as we approach the final battle of the book.

also- i am going to be on a houseboat without service for a few days so i won't be able to work on the fic :( i apologize for this being a short one, but i wanted to give you guys something to dwell on for what Lucy might've told Sarah... 😏

but don't worry! lucy and bucky will return in my next work, but it may not be how you expect it to be ;) please let me know if you have any feedback! i hope you all have a wonderful day, make sure to eat and hydrate! :D