𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐖𝐎

"Lucy? Come on, look at me, Pierce..."

Sam's voice was the first thing I heard after what felt like years of silence.

Why is he so loud...

My eyes opened slowly, my pupils dilating from the harsh amount of light that hit them. I winced, bringing my hand to protect them. Sam and Bucky were hovering over me, checking me over for any injuries.

This startled me, making me jump, and a sharp pain rocket through my ribs. I hissed in agony, shutting my eyes again as I forced myself to sit up.

"I'm fine..." I whispered, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

Bucky bandaged the wound on my cheek with a hidden tenderness. "You could've gotten killed," he spoke, his voice gruff.

I sighed, "I was only trying to save his life... and that shield for your information."

Sam stood and held out a hand for me to grab, "Mhm, right. Well, we couldn't save a life, but we sure as shit are gonna get the shield back."

Bucky pushed his hand away, stroking my hair with the other. "Let her rest... and you didn't even think to ask about her hands."

"Hands? What do you mean?" I whispered, raising my hands in front of my face to see scars decorating the palms of both my hands. They were identical. "Woah..."

Sam knelt again and held the back of my hand, examining the sigils burned into my skin. "Looks like a symbol for something..."

"Do you remember... like a burning sensation?" Bucky asked, clearly very intrigued by the amount of energy I exerted when trying to hold John off.

I nodded, "Mhm... like my entire body was about to be thrown into the clutches of Satan."

"Well, that's one way to describe it."

My eyes narrowed. The sigils meant something, maybe of important, maybe of nothing. But it was worth a shot to see. What looked like a crescent moon and blazing sun were combined. On each ray of the sun was a different celestial being, like gods.

Bucky looked between the two of us before grabbing my hand. "We'll figure out where you got those scars later. What I want to know is the purple. Why were your hands and veins were being infected with some violet shit?"

Again, I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know. it was like this ball of energy... and then it dissipated into this searing pain like I was being cooked alive." I breathed, "Like my body... was trying to tell me something."

Sam and Bucky looked at each other before back down at me. All I could do was stare at my hands, wondering endlessly what they could mean. I stifled my exhausting thoughts with the goal of the shield, that's all I had to think of.

...

John was resting, the shield against the ground and blinking furiously to align his sporadic thoughts. I shifted in my step toward him, to which Bucky roughly grabbed my hand and tugged me backward.

"You know what happened last time." He warned quietly.

I shuffled back and folded my hands, afraid that - if I were to protect myself with them- I'd hurt someone else.

With a swift pace in his step, he whirled past us, glaring at us. "You should see a medic, you don't look so good."

"Stop, Walker." Sam barked.

"You know what I had to do! So why are you here?!" He yelled in response, my body flinching out of reflex. "I killed him because I had to! He killed Lemar!"