𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

INNSBRUCK, AUSTRIA. 1976.

WINTER OLYMPICS.

To say I was nervous was an understatement.

Fear was rising in my chest. I could feel my father's gaze, which was averted when his *new* girlfriend pulled him aside with a squeaky 'Alexander! Look at the rink!'

For the umpteenth time, I checked the laces on my new figure skates. The white was blinding compared to the scratched-up ones I used for training. My arms were laced with dark red and bright gold accents, my shoulders uncovered. My body held to it a dark red and gold leotard with a deep v-neck. A light flowy, but the short skirt was wrapped around my waist.

My head started to ache from how tight my bun was on my scalp. I tried my best to blink away the negative thoughts when I felt a presence behind me.

I jumped and almost fell on my ass. It was only that mysterious man from before, and he had listened to me when I asked him to meet me.

"You're here..." I whispered, "thank god too, I was getting worried you wouldn't show."

He shrugged, "Your father only wanted me to take inventory and see how you are."

I furrowed my brows and placed a hand on the back of my neck, closing my eyes. "I see... Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you. You've been a great help to my father and frankly to me too."

He nodded, but his face stayed expressionless. "Of course, miss..."

"Lucy. I thought I told you that." I chuckled, "It's alright, it's an easy name to forget."

"Miss Lucy, yes. I wish you good lu-" He was cut off, immediately placing a hand on his forehead and looking down.

My eyes went wide, immediately kneeling by his side. "Are you alright? Did I say something wrong? What hurts?" I asked, trying to scan him over for injuries.

"Lucy... Do you have an extra pair of skates?" He whispered, a bewildered look on his features.

Those words made my head spin. All these skates have ever done is live in a closet!

"They might be sabotaged. With how fierce this competition is, someone could've dulled your skates." He whispered, startling me even as I stepped back from him.

"You're talking nonsense... If this is your ploy to try and get me to give up, it won't work." I bit back at him, glaring.

As much as I didn't want to believe him, a pit in my stomach was forming. One of anxiety. A person would never do such a despicable thing.

Right?

"Please welcome to the rink, Lucy Lane Pierce!"

My name was called. All of this was true.

"Please... Lucy... If you ever listen to me it's right now!" The man called after me, but I was already gliding across the fresh ice.

The music commenced. I side-stepped against the chewed-up ice, pushing myself forward. My gaze was kept forward as my back flattened out, my left leg rising so the back part of my blade was touching my bun. I reached my hand behind me, wrapping it behind my thigh and holding it there as I glided across the ice.

All of these stares were enjoyable at first but... the more I felt them looking at me, the more obligated I felt to win.

I plastered a bright smile onto my red lips, staring at the ice ahead of me as my skate lowered beside my own. I pushed my skates behind me, gaining speed as I swerved around the outer edge of the rink.