17 | Whiplash

If it was cowardice that kept him from going straight to the Ministry, he wouldn't deny it. When he apparated just outside the Leaky Cauldron, he figured a Butterbeer couldn't hurt, maybe some food. He was about to be fired, they could wait for him.

He stepped through the front door, the noise and scent engulfing him. He closed his eyes, a soft smile slipping onto his lips. Even if he didn't have the job, he still had this life. They couldn't take magic away from him now. 

Then his eyes fell on the redhead off in the corner. His breath caught in his chest. He couldn't look away. Ginny was here. Fear and fury rose inside of him. He needed to talk to her. He turned towards her when he noticed the grip on her wrist.

She turned towards the booth, wand shooting towards whoever there. She whispered something and judging by the hard look on her face, they weren't kind words. Straightening, the hand was gone and she stormed towards the entrance to Diagon Alley.

The entire interaction was maybe thirty seconds, but the air in the corner of the pub was thick. Just as he began to wonder what that was about, a man stood up from the booth and righted his suit jacket, and all common sense fled.

Draco Malfoy.

Harry hurried forward, bumping others and pushing past them, one thought on his mind: punch Malfoy's perfect nose for laying his slimy hands on Ginny.

As he came to the booth, Malfoy turned and stopped. His eyes widened slightly then he rolled them, crossing his arms. "Potter. What do you want?"

Harry's hands tightened into fists. Patience, Potter. You can't just go off and punch gits. Remember where you are. He exhaled through his nose then said, "What're you doing with Ginny?"

The left corner of his lips twitched. "Weasley? Oh, you know, small row after an incredible shag-"

Harry grabbed the front of his suit and pulled him close. "Watch your mouth, Malfoy."

Malfoy grabbed his wrists and squeezed. In a soft voice, he said, "Get your hands off me."

Remember where you are, he told himself. He let him go and slid his hands into his pockets. After a quick glance, he exhaled. No one had noticed anything. "Don't talk about Ginny like that."

One eyebrow rose. "Where do you think she went after she left the ball early?" 

Relief flooded him. "Don't make up lies about her, ferret." He took a step closer to him and pointed at his face. "Stay away from her. If not, there'll be nothing left of you for them to find."

The infamous Malfoy smirk was back on his lips, the steel-cold of his eyes burned. "Is that a threat?"

"A promise." Harry took a step back. Forget the Butterbeer and food, he had a quick stop to make before he went to the Ministry. 

*               *               *

The door slammed behind Ginny, and she leaned back against it, taking deep breaths. How dare he! Who did he think he was threatening her? Her? Her hands tightened into fists, her body shook. Long ago, she promised herself she'd never let someone walk over her again. She wasn't a doormat or a fool. She was a person. A witch. A thief. Dangerous. Raging with vengeance against those who took her dreams from her. No one told her what to do. No one dared do something like that to Fyrefox.

Yet here was Draco Malfoy thinking he had the right to make her a slave to his anger and his every whim. No. Screw him and his Pureblooded belief that the world revolved around him.