3 | An answer to her prayers

The Ministry of Magic could fall on itself, figurehead after figurehead dissolving to dust, and Ginny Weasley wouldn't give three threstrals what happened to it. It was a corrupt organization, shown multiple times by how easily it was swayed toward unsavory leadership in the past.

Every single one of them from the bottom to those at the top in their cushy boxed offices could fall right with it.

Sitting on a couch in a rented room above the Leaky Cauldron, she mulled over piles of papers scattered across the coffee table. She pinched her bottom lip.

And she found the perfect way to knock them off their oh-so-high pedestal. Just a little at least.

She smiled, leaning back and rubbing her hands together. Though she was tired, she forced herself to concentrate on the stacks in front of her. She grabbed one, shuffling through pages of blueprints. They moved on the sheet.

Throwing the papers up in the air, she chuckled as they fluttered around her.

They wouldn't be able to stop her.

She crossed her arms, leaning back and kicking her feet onto the table, knocking over some papers. She couldn't wait to get her hands on the object.

Enlightenment came in the form of coincidence a week ago when she accidentally ran into Ron in the Ministry. She'd been walking through, just getting a good feel of the place for a future plan when she'd been spotted. He'd been trying to convince her to see the family when the gods decided she needed more trouble. Harry Potter, the bane of her existence, showed up.

Thankfully, she slipped away before seeing him. She'd gotten away as fast she could, short of a broom. But something good had come out of it all. When she'd been hurrying away, she passed the Minister, just as he'd been mentioning to someone about a meet-up between the Ministry and the MACUSA, the Magical Congress of the United States of America.

And there it was. An opportunity.

Then a few days later, her prayers were answered. The front page of the Daily Prophet sported an article about a priceless object that symbolized the bringing of two governments together.

Ginny would steal it.

She'd steal the object and disgrace the Ministry. That would make her so happy, and the Ministry wouldn't know what to do after this object- that symbolized peace- was gone.

Chickens with their heads cut off.

Merlin, she couldn't wait.

Folding up the paper, she tossed it onto the table, getting up. She yanked her wand out of her messy bun and stepped in front of the mirror. Her reflection stared back. She ruffled her red hair as it fell out of the bun and down her shoulders.

"You look quite the mess," her reflection told her.

She ignored it, wand twirling through her fingers as she contemplated what appearance to use this time. Nothing too noticeable. An image came to mind, and she nodded, waving her wand around her head. The air shimmered as she transfigured herself.

In the reflection, she watched as her long, wavy red hair shortened to a straight, black bob. Her skin darkened to sport a nice tan. Her eyes lightened to a soft blue. Her nose widened a fraction, and her cheekbones sharpened.

She turned her head once it was done. She smiled then frowned, narrowed her eyes then widened them. She grinned. Colors and details were off just enough that it would take someone really looking at her to recognize her.

"I like it," she said, winking at herself.

"It isn't you," her reflection responded.

"It never is." She shrugged, turned her back, and grabbed her cloak. "Time for some recon." She grabbed her bag, spelled all the papers to a neat pile and slid them inside then left the room.

*

The Department of Magical Law Enforcement had witches and wizards running back and forth through the building. MACUSA's President would be arriving late tomorrow afternoon, and he would bring with him the artifact that he'd be donating to the Minister. The object was all hush-hush right now, but when presented, the British wizarding world would be ecstatic and overjoyed.

And Ginny was going to steal it from right under their arrogant noses.

Now, that would be an honor.

She smiled, sitting on the edge of the new fountain in the Atrium. No one paid her much attention, and she was perfectly fine with that. She crossed her legs, watching the hustle and bustle, pieces of conversations reaching her.

"- you hear that the President's a handsome man? I've seen pictures, but you never know –"

"- I heard that their Aurors are bloody nuts, completely mad, such Americans –"

"- some famous music group is coming with them. Not looking forward to it. They've got rubbish taste in –"

"- I bet security will be doubled when the wanker shows –" Ginny chuckled at that snip of conversation, but she continued listening.

"- do you think this so called priceless artifact actually is? You don't suppose it's something –" Her ears perked up. She watched two men talk as they walked away from her. She got to her feet and followed them. She had no idea what the artifact was and was hoping that maybe something would slip. The two men continued walking in front of her. She followed, just at the edge of eavesdropping, pulling out a stack of papers to add more coverage.

The tall one, with light brown hair readjusted his collar. "What if it's a book? That would be so terribly boring," he said.

"That wouldn't be so bad. Books are usually old. Especially if it's for something like this." The second man shrugged, running his hands through blond spikes.

The two were idiots. She'd get no real answers from them. It was time to call it a day. She'd done a few hours of recon, and she'd be back for the President's arrival tomorrow afternoon, fully prepared for a glimpse of the artifact. With that look, she'd be able to form a plan.

She smiled as she moved past the two men, heading for the exit.

"Jefferson! Cortez! What are you doing-!" A man collided with her. She stumbled, but someone righted her. Her heart jumped as she looked into green eyes, eyes she could never forget.

"I'm sorry, ma'am," Harry Potter said. "Are you okay?"

A shiver shot up her spine, and she jumped away, ready to make a mad dash out of the Ministry when she realized he didn't recognize her. She almost laughed. He saw a blue-eyed, dark haired witch. Not Ginny Weasley.

"I'm fine. Sorry for running into you," she said, smiling.

"Do I -" He stopped, looking at her hard.

"Do you what?" she asked, leaning back. Her heart skipped a beat. There was no way he saw past the disguise, past the glamour to see her. Not him. Especially not him.

A slight blush dusted his ears, and he shook his head, righting his glasses. "I- it's nothing. Sorry." He looked away.

"Well, excuse me." She smiled again then rushed off without so much as a backwards glance, her mind already on her next steal. In the beginning, she stole a few things for others after realizing she was good at it. But lately, she tried the harder hits for herself, training, readying herself, hitting rich, disreputable families for when it was time to hit the Ministry.

The Ministry had ruined her life and her dreams. She would put back that part of herself that the world and Harry once knew, and be, once again, Fyrefox.

*

And there we go! Sorry for the wait. Ginny is in! And she's got a bone to pick with the Ministry, the destroyer of dreams. And we all know, that's the worst thing to do to young girls. Now, she has plans, and that's very, very BAD for them. What're your thoughts? For those who are rereading, please, no spoilers! But for you guys, thaaaaank you so much for continuing to give this story so much love!