18 | The oddest feeling

It wasn't Harry's fault. His actions had always been tied to his emotions. The kiss. Merlin. He'd been so angry with her. Couldn't she see that he was trying to help her? Azkaban had a cell with her name on it, and he was trying to keep her out of it. Why was she so stubborn?

And when Ginny was angry, God help him, he was bewitched. Magic pouring out of her, dark eyes wild. He couldn't look away.

So, he'd done the only thing that he could think of as she challenged him. He probably should've thought about it more before he'd done it.

Now, he was doomed.

To say he enjoyed it was an understatement.

As he entered the Ministry, moving through the atrium to the lifts, he was on autopilot. Up and off then through the corridors to Headquarters. Every step, his mind was at the entrance of that flat. Her lips were so soft. He touched his lips.

People probably said hello to him, called him, said a few words but he didn't respond, trapped in his memories. Ginny. He sighed, pushing open the doors, and he was bombarded by Aurors.

"Did you catch him?" Pitters asked.

"Did Fyrefox catch you?" Cotton asked.

"Where have you been?" Jefferson asked next.

Harry crossed his arms.

"Don't suppose you have the target or the artifact with you?" Cortez asked from behind him.

Merlin's Beard. He bit his tongue, looking back at the door. Could he sneak out before they got deeper into-

"Potter, my office now."

He stiffened. Robards was ready for him.

"Do you want backup?"

Harry's gaze shot to Sharp, leaning against his desk, arms crossed. Harry walked over. "No, it's probably best this next part is done alone." He ran his hands over his face, his glasses sliding up his forehead. "Where are the Americans?" he asked softly.

"Jack's in a meeting with the President and Kingsley. Have been for an hour." He straightened, looking towards Robards' office. "Where have you been?"

Harry rubbed the back of his neck. "Fyrefox stunned me."

Sharp's eyebrows rose.

"Later," Harry said, holding up his hand when Sharp started to respond. He moved to Robards' office, where he leaned against the front of his desk, arms crossed. His expression blank. That alarmed Harry. The Head Auror was hiding what he really felt.

Bloody hell, he was screwed.

"Sir," he said.

When he came inside, Robards gestured to the chair. Harry sat, running his hands down his trousers. He licked his lips. He folded his hands.

Robards didn't move or speak.

He didn't know how much more he could take before there was a knock on the door and a strong wave of déjà vu.

"Come in," Robards called out without looking away from Harry.

The door opened and Kingsley came in, followed by the President and Jack. Harry jumped to his feet to allow both Kingsley and the President to take the seats. He peeked at Robards. The man wouldn't destroy him and his career in front of the Americans, right?

When they got settled, Robards just dropped. "How could you let this happen?" 

Guess not. Harry exhaled.