31 | Ready

Harry never resented his duty more than the moment he woke up again in Ginny's bed. He needed to go, but with her in his arms, he didn't want to move. He wanted to stay where it was warm, and where, maybe, they could have a repeat.

They're expecting him.

He hated that voice too. Merlin. They didn't need him there. Fyrefox wouldn't be there. The thief would be far, far away. And, if he stayed, he knew she wouldn't be anywhere close to the ball.

But the truth was that they expected him there. This was his case, after all.

Maybe he didn't want the Head Auror position anymore. Maybe he wanted to live a simple, uneventful life with Ginny by his side.

But, alas, that was never going to be his life. Never has been, never will be.

With a sigh, he removed her arm from around his waist and stopped when she made a soft sigh and cuddled closer to him. Her body flush against his.

Screw the Ministry. He laid his hand on her lower back, sliding it down to her bum. Yeah. He'd stay here and reacquaint himself with her body. He grinned. It was a win-win scenario. He could make love to her again, and she wouldn't get arrested. He brushed his lips against her neck. She sighed. He pulled the cover down, lowering himself, and kissed her collarbone. She squirmed. Ah, yes. The team would be alright.

He pulled her even closer.

"Harry," she whispered, eyes still closed.

Oh yeah, just fine.

What would they think when he didn't show?

That thought stopped him. They would never suspect he knew who Fyrefox was, but there would be questions. Some he wasn't comfortable answering just now.

No matter what was going on in his life, he couldn't forget he had a duty. He swore his loyalty to the Ministry, and since Ginny came back into his life, he'd been torn between it and her.

However, he could do this and still stay loyal to Ginny. This was the case, and while she was in this bed, Fyrefox would never show up at the ball.

He righted the covers and got out of bed. He accio'd his clothes and dressed. The room was dark, but he could see the outline of Ginny's body in bed. He walked over and kissed her forehead.

She stirred.

"Go back to sleep," he whispered, brushing a lock of hair away from her face. "I love you."

She rolled over onto the side he'd been sleeping on and cuddled against the pillow, mumbling something in her sleep.

Bugger, he hated his job.

He took a step back out of the room, but he couldn't look away from the bed. Then another step until he couldn't see her. He started for the front door when he spotted a stack of papers on her table. They were wet from the vase. Some clothing had knocked it over earlier. Moving black lines shot across the paper. He took a step closer than stopped himself. He shook his head. He didn't have time for this, not to mention how all kinds of wrong it was to look at Ginny's things.

He chewed his bottom lip then pushed his glasses up and left her flat. He had somewhere he had to be. Checking his watch, he figured he had enough time to go home, change, and head to the Ministry.

One last glance at her closed door, he apparated. He'd be back later tonight after the ball. Then he could slip back into bed and get lost in Ginny again.

*               *               *

Ginny woke to an empty bed and the soft click of her flat door. "Harry?" she called then yawned. Dropping back onto the bed, she stretched. She felt amazing. Rolling over onto her side, she cuddled Harry's pillow, a soft smile on her lips as she closed her eyes.

Harry loved her. And she loved him.

She couldn't say why she was surprised by his words. Honestly, she'd loved Harry since she was ten years old, watching him disappear through the Platform 9 3/4 then board the Hogwarts Express.

Laying on her back, she stared at her ceiling. A blush came to her cheeks. That had been amazing. It wasn't their first time together, but it was a new beginning. She licked her lips. The past felt like ages ago, but coming together with Harry was like coming home.

Merlin, she was such a sap.

She rolled over again.

What time was it even? She reached for the clock on her nightstand then shot up when she caught the time.

"Bollocks!" She jumped out of bed, hurrying to shower. Malfoy would be here soon. How had it gotten so late?

Thirty minutes later, she was finishing her makeup when there was a knock on the door. Malfoy. He was early. She turned back to the mirror and her own reflection stared back. She decided to do as Malfoy said and go as herself. No glamour tonight. She hoped she didn't regret it.

She put on another coat of red lipstick and ran her fingers through her hair one last time. Loose curls rolled down her shoulder. She smiled at herself. She was ready.

She opened the door as Malfoy knocked again. His hand hung in the air as he took her in.

"Wow." He grabbed her hand and kissed the inside of her palm. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks." She stepped out into the corridor and silently put up her protection wards. His reaction to the dress made her grin. While she probably shouldn't have gone all out, drawing attention to herself, she couldn't fault herself the dress. When she'd seen in Madam Malkin's, she just had to have it. A cream, low-cut, floor-length gown, body-fitted, and sleeveless with thick straps. It made her hair stand out more than usual. Made her love the rich red color even more.

And with Harry being there as well tonight, well, she'd knock him dead too. That brought a smile to her face.

"Ready?" Malfoy asked, holding his arm out to her. "I've got a car waiting for us."

*

Hello, lovelies! Here we go! Another chapter. No ball just yet. Next chapter, I think. So, thoughts? Harry is going to lose his mind when he sees her there!! XD And on Malfoy's arm. Oooooh. Drama ;) Anyway, sorry it's a little on the short side. More in a few days! Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe and healthy! And as always, thank you so much for all of your support and love and patience. I appreciate it so much! <3