22 | Priority

A mug was placed on the table. Jack looked up from his notepad. The blond woman smiled at him. What was her name again? She owned this place. He held back a frown. Hannah? He could barely think straight. He was exhausted. He'd gotten to bed late last night and was up early.

"Here's your coffee. Is there anything else I can get you?" she asked.

"No. Thanks, though." He took a sip when she walked away and grimaced into the mug. God, it was awful. He took another sip. It didn't get any better, but he needed the caffeine.

He checked his watch. Sharp was late. Not something he expected from the man. Jack frowned, leaning back in the booth. It had been Sharp's idea to meet at the Leaky Cauldron this morning when he'd accompanied him to his hotel room last night. Jack had suggested he come in again, and the man had surprised him by rejecting only because he knew they'd be expected in early.

The blush that had followed was the real shocker. Man, the Brit was full of surprises. Jack grinned. That first night together was the hottest thing ever. His grin grew. Sharp certainly had a way with his hands. He sighed.

But it was probably for the best that he hadn't come in. The President showed up unannounced an hour later for an update. After he was all caught up, he'd asked how long Jack thought the case would take. Jack still remembered the dread that started in the pit of his stomach. Before he could ask why, the President said he'd be returning home by the end of the week regardless of the outcome.

The dread spread through his body. He'd had to swallow down the panic. This Fyrefox was proving elusive. Always a step ahead, it would seem.

But by the end of the week? That gave Jack three days to catch this guy.

And as much as he wanted to help the Ministry and definitely explore whatever was going on with Sharp, his place was by the President's side.

The Trudon incident was behind them all. The President was safe. The others would keep him safe in his absence.

Still, a thought nagged at him in the back of his mind whenever he was away from the President for long: No one could protect him better than Jack could.

That was absurd, of course. The Aurors surrounding the President were the best of the best the Americans could offer. Good, loyal men and women who put their lives in the line every day for him.

It didn't help that the President was lax on his own security. Once an Auror himself, he felt he could protect himself. Jack had to bite on his tongue every time the man said as much. He'd definitely not appreciate the almost fatal mistake being thrown in his face.

Doug Trudon. God, what a mistake that had been.

Jack ran his hands over his face. At night, he still had nightmares of the motionless President's body in his arms. He shivered, sliding his hands around his mug.

Maybe he should step away from this case. Apologize to Potter and the Minister. Maybe invite Sharp to New York City for a vacation. Who cares what the President said, his protection was Jack's number one priority. These guys could catch Fyrefox.

He nodded. He just needed some parchment. He'd contact Potter first. The President could wait-

Sharp slid into the empty bench in front of Jack. "Good morning." He smiled.

Jack's heart skipped a beat. Sweet Mother of Merlin. His mouth went dry.

"Hi," he managed a moment later, though it was too soft. He cleared his throat and took another sip of coffee. He grimaced.

"Is that coffee?" Sharp asked when Jack pushed the cup away.

He didn't need the caffeine that much. Had it gotten worse? Damn.

"It likes to think it is." Jack sighed, leaning back in the booth and eyeing the other man. God. Wow.

Sharp had his hair pulled back at his neck. Something peeked out of the collar of his dark green long-sleeved shirt. Jack knew it was the tail of a sleek dragon tattoo that tied into an all-black side body tattoo that ended at his hips. It was all shapes and words and creatures and just pure magic. He'd spent hours tracing them with his fingertips then his tongue. That thought made him a little breathless.

"Are you okay?" Sharp asked.

Jack blinked and licked his lips. Get it together. He exhaled. "Yeah, rough night." The nightmares were still fresh. 

Sharp's eyebrows rose. "Did I miss something?"

A smile slipped onto his lips. "No. The President showed up last night." He rubbed the back of his neck. Should he tell Sharp what he'd decided? Could he tell him the President was leaving soon? Dammit. He had a duty to his boss. Sharp was special, but they lived in different worlds. Had responsibilities they couldn't skirt because of... emotions.

Silence stretched between them until Jack realized it. He glanced at the other man and frowned. Sharp stared down at his hands, shoulders stiff.

"What?" Jack asked after a moment.

"What?" Sharp looked up.

"What's wrong?" Jack reached across the table and laid his hand over Sharp's hands. He pulled back his hands, and Jack's heart dropped. Something was definitely wrong. Two seconds ago he was with Jack. Completely. "Jackson, look at me."

Green eyes met his. Jack licked his lips.

Sharp looked away. "It's nothing. Maybe we should get to the Ministry. I'm sure-"

"Wait, wait, wait." Jack got up and slid onto the bench next to Sharp. "First, tell me what's wrong."

Sharp moved away from him but the wall blocked him. He glared at Jack. "I don't know what you're talking about. Move. I have informants to see after I get you to the Ministry."

Jack frowned. "Jackson. C'mon. What's going on?"

Sharp looked down at the table again then back at Jack. "Nothing. Please move. We should go."

He wasn't going to give, Jack realized. What happened? Well, obviously no wasn't the time. Sighing, he got out of the booth and stood. Sharp did too then he waited for Jack to get his things.

The entire way to the Ministry, Jack couldn't figure out what happened. But maybe it was for the best he hadn't invited the man back to New York.

*

I know this is a short chapter, but more is coming! Just a bit from Jack's POV. Thoughts? And of course, Sharp is there too ;) Anyway, I'm off to work on the next chapter! Thank you, as always, for all of your support and love and patience. I appreciate it so, so much! <3