33 | No man

The ballroom air was thick with pretension. Ginny could scarcely breathe. It was all money, Pure-blood status, and connections. It made her skin crawl, but that didn't mean it wasn't the perfect place for someone like her. The ballroom was full of rich people, begging for her to steal from them. Only a little bit. It was hard to stay focused on the task at hand.

Malfoy laid his finger under her chin, forcing her to meet his eyes. "I'm going to make my rounds. Would you like to join me?"

Silver storms.

Heat rose in her. She licked her lips.

He looked away, and she blinked a few times. Weird. She chewed on her bottom lip then shook her head. "I'll just sit for a moment."

"Let me get you seated." He ushered her to an empty table. "I need to find Pansy. Do you need anything?"

She fought a groan. She wasn't here to socialize. She was here to work. He knew that. He needed to cut it out with this behavior. This wasn't a date. It was a job. She swallowed a retort and instead said, "No, thank you."

Off he went, and she could breathe again. Merlin. Men could be so overbearing. She crossed her legs and scanned the ballroom. She needed to get out of the here and up the stairs without anyone noticing.

According to the blueprints, Pansy's room was where she could find the Black Locket.

She turned in her chair and spotted the side door. There were two tables beside it, empty. That exit led to the side corridor and the kitchens. If she could sneak up the back stairwell, she could-

"What are you doing here?"

A shiver shot up her spine. A beat passed then she turned forward to a dark Harry, hands tightened into fists. Energy rolled off of him.

She knew he was going to be here. He'd said as much, but she had hoped to get this all taken care of before him and the Aurors showed up. She peeked around him at the ballroom, but she didn't recognize anyone. Damn.

She exhaled. "Good evening, Harry."

He glanced over his shoulder then took a step closer. "You promised you wouldn't-"

"No, I didn't."

His mouth opened, but he didn't reply right away. She never promised him anything. She loved Harry, but she still had her work. She was never going to be the type of woman who put her life on hold for a man. Never raised that way. She loved her work, loved the thrill, and the need to break the rules, well, that added to it. The twins taught her to take pleasure in those kinds of things.

And there was the ever-present pang when it came to her brothers. Fred. George. She missed them. Missed them all, to be honest.

She pursed her lips.

"You shouldn't be here," Harry told her.

Leaning back in her chair, she tried to spot Malfoy in the crowd, but she couldn't find him. Not one glimmer of that white-blond hair. All she wanted was to get the damn locket and give it to him. Conclude their business. This whole ordeal was turning out to more trouble than it was worth. Even all that money wasn't worth it. She wanted to go home, maybe slip into bed with Harry. She glanced at the man in his dress robes. He looked good, even if he hated it. He pulled on the collar as he scanned the ballroom.

Yeah, she'd love to go home with Harry. Making love with him again had been an adventure. One she wanted to keep enjoying. Her smile grew.

"Are you listening to me?" He growled.

But he was ruining the whole situation right now. Sighing, she took in the ballroom. "Go away, Harry. You'll draw unwanted attention." She glanced at the side door again. There was no one around it. "Like you, I'm here on business."

Now was the time.

She stood up, running her hands down her dress. His gaze followed the movement.

He shook his head and looked met her eyes. "Business with Malfoy? Ginny. C'mon. How many times do I have to tell you? Getting involved with Malfoy is dangerous."

Annoyance shot through her. "Harry."

"Go home before anyone recognizes you," he added. "Ron's here. He'll freak if he sees you. He'll have questions. He's worried about you."

That stopped her. "Ron?" Her eyes widened, and she scanned the crowd again. Where was he?

"Yes, Ron."

"Where?" He wasn't in the crowd. She'd know if he was. Harry was lying. He had to be. Ron wasn't here.

He was an Auror. Of course he would be here. Harry was here, and they were looking for Fyrefox.

She clenched her jaw. Bloody hell.

"You won't be able to find him," he said, crossing his arms.

She frowned. How could she not recognize one of her brothers? "Glamour? Seriously? What are you Aurors playing at?"

He pushed up his glasses, looking away. "We're here to catch a thief. We'll do what we have to."

A shiver shot through her again as she searched the crowd. The Aurors were after her. Of course they were. She knew that, but it finally hit her. Why were they after her? How did they even know? Sure, she stole the Golden Unicorn Horn, and hadn't exactly hidden her identity when she did, but the Aurors had been waiting for her at the reveal. How? And Harry hadn't known until the Alliance Ball. So, how?

"Ginny, go home," he said. "This is no place for you to be."

Those were the words that did it. Sure, she loved Harry, but no one would tell her where she should be. Not ever again. She went where she wanted to go, did what she wanted to do. No one, definitely no man, was going to tell her what she could and couldn't do.

"No." She turned and walked over to the side door without a backward glance. She had business to take care of, and no one was going to stop her.

*

Hello, lovelies! Short chapter, but I hope to have the next one up in a few days. Now, we're getting into the end of things, what do you think's going to happen? Harry's crossed a line in Ginny's eyes. He thinks he knows her, but does he really know this new Ginny, this BAD!Ginny? Does anyone anymore? Anyway, thoughts on this chapter?

Also, as always, thank you so much for all of your love and support and patience during this crazy time! They've finally ordered a stay-at-home for my state. I'm still working, but my job is considered essential personnel, so I'm still out there. Everyone, stay safe and stay healthy.

I love you all so much <3