F I V E

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Anastasia's POV
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"What the hell is that thing?" I stare at the slimy creature, Dustin has captured in his ghostbuster box thingy.

"That thing is my newest discovery. His name is D'Artagnan. Cute, right?" Dustin gives a toothy grin.

"D'Artagnan?" Mike asks.

"Dart for short." Dustin says.

"And he was in your trash?" Max asks.

"Foraging for food." Dustin says. "You wanna hold him?" Max shakes her head. "He doesn't bite." Dustin holds the creature out to her.

"I don't want to..." Dustin proceeds to plop Dart into Max's hands. "Oh, God, he's slimy!" She tosses him to Lucas.

"Ugh, he's like a living booger." He grimaces. He tosses him to Will.

"Ugh, oh, God!" Will shrieks and passes Dart to me. My stomach starts to feel weird, something is off about this thing, and I'm not talking about the strange amount of slime it produces. I hand it off to Mike.

"What is he?" Mike asks.

"My question exactly. At first, I thought it
was some type of pollywog." Dustin starts.

"Pollywog?" Max asks.

"It's another word for tadpole. A tadpole is the larval stage of a toad." I try to explain but Max cuts me off.

"I know what a tadpole is." She spits. Well she's definitely smarter than her brother.

"All right, then you know that most tadpoles are aquatic, right? Well, Dart, he isn't. He doesn't need water." Dustin says.

"Yeah, but aren't there nonaquatic pollywogs?" Lucas asks.

"Terrestrial pollywogs. Two to be exact. Indirana semipalmata and the Adenomera andreae. One's from India, one's from South America. So how did one end up in my trash?" Dustin asks.

"Maybe some scientists brought it here, and it escaped?" Max says.

"Wouldn't be the first time." I say. Mike gives me a "Shut the heck up"  look. Oops.

"Do you guys see that? Looks like something is moving inside of it." Mike grabs the desk lamp and shine it on Dart. Dart then screeches making us gasp. He scurries away and attempts to jump off the table, but Dustin catches him.

"It's okay. I got you, little guy. I know you don't like that. It's okay." Dustin coos.

"We've got to get him out more." I whisper to the kids.

"And there's another thing. Reptiles, they're cold-blooded. Ectothermic, right? They love heat, the sun. Dart hates it. It hurts him." Dustin say as he continues to stroke Dart's back.

"So, if he's not a pollywog or a reptile..." Lucas starts.

"Then I've discovered a new species." Dustin says excitedly.

[BELL RINGS]

I jump as the bell goes off meaning it's time for my next class. We head out into the hallway.

"We gotta show him to Mr. Clarke." Lucas says.

"What if he steals my discovery?" Dustin whines.

"He's not gonna steal your discovery." I huff.

"You know, I'm thinking about calling it Dustonious pollywogus. What do you think?" Dustin asks.

"I think you're an idiot." I scoff making Dustin glare at me.

"When I become rich and famous for this one day, don't come crawling back, saying, "Oh, my God, Dustin, I'm so sorry for being mean to you back in 8th grade. Oh, my God." I roll my eyes at the silly child.

"See ya, losers." I say as I head back down to the high school class rooms. It was time for Art class, which is my absolute favorite class. I get settled into my desk and listen to the teacher. I glance over at Billy who was seated with Tommy H. Of course my favorite class is with two of the most difficult people, that's just how my life goes I guess. Billy glances my way, making us lock eyes. I blink and look away. He is way too distracting.

"Okay class, This week we will be doing partner projects." The class starts chatting and getting excited. "But! I will be choosing your partner, just so it's fair." If I get Tommy H. This system is definitely not fair. The teacher starts calling out names.

"Anastasia, you'll be with Billy." Okay, this system is definitely fair. But then again, I don't know how well Billy actually does in school. He's probably one of those guys that makes you do all the work while he just sits and looks pretty.

"You guys have this week and next week to complete and turn in a 20x40 painting. I want to see something that tells a story." I glance over at Billy who was already staring at me.

After exchanging glances with Billy for what felt like an eternity the bell rings meaning the school day was coming to a close. I get up and rush out the door, not wanting to deal with Hargrove. I glance behind me as I walk down the hallway. Billy was definitely following me. I turn a corner and book it down the hall, bumping into Mike Wheeler and Will Byers in the process.

"Can't you watch where you're going, Harrington." Mike huffs and he rubs his arm. I pull them into a corner, trying to make sure Billy don't see us.

"S-Sorry I-" Mike cuts me off.

"Will, you coming? Let's go show Mr. Clarke." Will freezes as a frightened expression appears on his face.

"Will, What's wrong?" I ask as I grab his shoulder.

"It's about D'Artagnan."

☆︎☆︎☆︎☆︎☆︎☆︎☆︎☆︎☆︎☆︎☆︎☆︎☆︎☆︎☆︎☆︎☆︎☆︎☆︎☆︎☆︎☆︎

Author's POV
In Mr. Clarke's Classroom...

"This is the reason I was late for class." Dustin says as he places his ghostbusters box down.

"Pretty neat. These doors function?" Mr. Clarke examines the box.

"Well, yeah, obviously. But it's not about the trap. It's what's inside." Dustin says. Mr. Clarke gives him a go on motion. "Now, this very well may change your perception of the world."

"Consider my interest piqued." Mr. Clarke says.

"All right, first, let's just clarify that this is my discovery, not yours." Lucas huffs and slams his hands on the table.

"Dustin, Jesus! Just show him!" Lucas yells.

"I'm just trying to clarify-"

"Dustin!" Max says, frustrated.

"Okay, fine." They get interrupted when Mike, Will, and Anastasia bust through the door.

"Stop!" Mike yells. Anastasia rushes up to the desk and grabs the box.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Clarke. It was just a stupid prank the kids were trying to pull." Anastasia huffs as she walks away.

"What are you doing?" Dustin exclaims.

"We need to go." She says, out of breath. The kids don't budge. "Right now. Right now!" She yells. She runs out the hall with the kids following behind. She turns a corner and sees Billy. The sound of her converse squeaking make him turn in her direction. Anastasia's eyes get to the size of golf balls. She quickly turns and runs towards the kids and throws the box to Mike.

"You guys handle this, Max I'll distract your brother!" She whisper yells as she runs back down the hall and turns the corner, bumping into Billy's hard chest. He grips her arms, making sure she don't get away this time.