Chapter 14

Shinobu woke up groggily. She was laying on her cheek, and her limbs were sprawled out on the floor. Immediately, she knew something was wrong. She was in a small room made of dark brown wood planks, with the only opening being wooden bars on one side, almost like a jail cell. She could smell the scent of soil underneath the wood planks, which indicated thats she was underground. The room was dimly lit, the only source of light being an oil lamp hanging from the opposite side of the bars.

Is this the demon pit I was in before?

Her thoughts dissipated as she heard steps coming from the darkness.

"Ohayo!" Douma greeted. Now he was in his usual attire, no longer wearing a demon slayer uniform. He was also holding a bento box in his hands.

Shinobu grit her teeth. "It's funny how you call yourself a tactician, but you let me keep my clothes on, and all you use to keep me in is a few wooden bars. Why don't you just kill me already?"

Douma chuckled. "Well, that would just defeat your purpose here, wouldn't it?"

Shinobu recoiled in confusion. "Purpose?"

"Well, no time to speak of it now!" Douma said as he slid the bento through a small door under the bars.

Shinobu just glared at him. Douma stood there for an awkward while, then scratched his head.

"Well, what're you waiting for?" Douma chuckled out. "Surely you couldn't last a day without being a little bit hungry."

Shinobu's glare didn't waver. "What's in it?"

Douma was visibly confused. "Hm? Picky one, aren't ya?"

"Answer the question, Douma."

Douma felt offended. "How rude! Okay, it's grilled mackarel, steamed rice, soy sauce, and a few pieces of karaage."

Shinobu looked unconvinced. "With a few human fingers lodged in there?"

Douma's eyebrows raised up, then he finally realized what she was saying and laughed out loud. "Hahaha, no, no, it's just animal meat. I promise."

Shinobu sat down and disconnected the rice and karaage from the bento, and set them aside. In a quick reflex, she tossed the rest of the bento at Douma's face, which he easily dodged.

"No way in hell I'm trusting you again."

Douma looked back at Shinobu like a child. "Now, now, Shinobu. It's not like you would happily stroll into my home without some hesitation."

"Why would I hesitate?" Shinobu questioned. "It's the only chance I can finally encounter my sister's killer."

Douma chuckled at this. "That's a bit foolish to say, considering you slayers have rendered countless innocent demons siblingless."

Shinobu looked up in disgust. "Innocent? Every demon, no matter who they were in the past, must be put down for the sake of Japan's soul."

Douma was laughing now, shamelessly mocking Shinobu. "And yet your supposed 'leader' permits the life of a certain Kamodo."

Shinobu grits her teeth. "No, Nezuko is different. She hasn't killed a single person!"

"You expect me to believe that?"

"What?"

Douma looked back at Shinobu. "Unlike that swine, Ubuyashiki, who sends dozens of young teenagers to die without blinking an eye, Lord Muzan cares dearly about his fellow demons. When I questioned why a demon was fighting against it's own kind, he openly admitted that he gave Nezuko Kamodo his blood."