Chapter 17

The second day had passed.

Shinobu, as much as she refused to believe it, didn't mind being in the Pit. She was treated well, fed well, and wasn't tortured in any way. This was all thanks to Rika. After forgiving Shinobu a day before, she was becoming a very good friend to Shinobu. She had the beauty of Kanao, the cheeriness of Aoi, and the kindness of Kanae. If it weren't for the fact that she was a demon, Shinobu would have adopted her as a new member of the Kochou family.

Wishful thinking...

Shinobu talked with her for hours. Most of the time, Rika talked. She talked about her parents a lot, how they always cared for her and kept her away from the other, more hostile demons. From what Rika could say, her parents sympathized with humans, but understood that their deaths were necessary in order to survive. Rika recalled a time when her father let a group of human travellers pass by their house. Rika, being quite young, questioned her father's actions. Her father (and mother, for that matter) said that they believed humans weren't meant to be killed for sport. They emphasized how they were humans as well, and that there was a difference between necessary violence and wicked violence.

Shinobu felt her heart contract whenever Rika talked about her parents. She killed two demons who, like Nezuko and Tamayo, never asked for any of this. The worst part was that their child was brave enough to forgive the person that essentially destroyed her life.

"Why did you forgive me?"
Shinobu asked as they were talking. Rika had just served her dinner, and their conversation was close to it's end.

Rika looked up and smiled.
"Because you didn't kill them."

Shinobu was confused. "What do you mean?"

"Lord Douma talked to me. I asked why you were here, and he said you came here for revenge. When you killed my parents... you had hate in you, but it was never for them. You didn't kill my parents because you wanted to. You killed them because they were in the way, so I know now that you never really wanted this in the first place. He never told me what he did to you, but he did tell me that he never intended for it to happen."

Douma... didn't want to kill Kanae?

"He said that he kept you here so he could figure out a way to apologize. He knew you wouldn't listen to his words in a fighting scenario, so he wanted you to cool off for a while in here."

Shinobu scoffed at this. Douma was essentially wasting his time. Leaving her in a place wouldn't solve anything. Shinobu will never forgive him, not now, not ever.

Forgiveness...

"Hey..." Rika said. Shinobu looked back at her in response.

"I know that what he did was terrible, and... you probably hate him with all of your heart... but please. Please forgive him. He taught me that revenge only leads to darkness. Now, he wants to teach you the same thing. Please, Shinobu. Don't give in to your anger."

Rika stayed silent for a while, then got back up and left the room.

Shinobu, meanwhile, was torn inside. She couldn't make sense of anything anymore.

Forgive Douma? Why would I do that? He killed Kanae! He destroyed everything I held dear!

But... I did the same to Rika, and... she forgave me... now look at her. She's smiling. I want to smile like that...

So I have to forgive Douma!

But he killed Kanae!

Yes, but... he didn't want to... why does Rika look up to him so much? Why is Douma so friendly with her? Why is he so comfortable talking with me? Why isn't he the monster I thought he was?