♡ prologue

•••••  I looked at my mothers gorgeous face

I looked at my mothers gorgeous face. Oh how I so desperately wanted to punch it.

"This is it?" I demanded, scowling at the beautiful ornate blade she'd handed me, "You're gone all my life; surely you know what happened to dad years ago and you did nothing. I just lost my closest friend. My sister. Now all of a sudden, you're here? Only to give me a pretty weapon to, what, make up for it?"

Aphrodite tossed her beautiful locks of hair over her shoulders. Her hair changing from red to blonde to brown to black. The texture going from sleek and straight to dainty curls.

"Well when you say it like that, it makes me think it's not good enough," she pouted.

I seethed with anger. The gods were awful parents. This was a well known fact among demigods. However, I took it so personally. I've gone through so much pain, so much judgement because of this woman. Do you know how hard it is for people to take you seriously when your mother is the legit goddess of love and beauty? A goddess who has a reputation for being petty and selfish? A goddess who will go to any lengths just to ruin the life of someone said to be prettier than her ?

With her, everything was about how nice you look and how many guys you could wrap around your finger.

"Why now?" I asked.

The goddess clicked her tongue, her multicolored eyes fixating on me.

"Well it's no question you're one of my most accomplished daughters," She smiled gleefully and reached out to pat my head, "So why not give you a reward for saving Olympus?"

It was all I could do not to wrap my hands around her neck. For the past five years, demigods here at camp have been risking their lives to stop the reincarnated Titans from retaking Olympus and overthrowing the gods. What did the gods do to help? Absolutely nothing. Finally, back in August, we won. We defeated Kronos, the Titan king. At a cost, though. Trust was broken. Betrayals. So many died. My closest sister died. I was still trying to get over her death when mom sauntered into my empty cabin to give me this sorry excuse of a 'thank you for saving my immortal skin' gift.

I was so angry, I was at a loss for words. She sounded so indifferent. Like the battle we won 6 months ago was as big a deal as bringing them lunch. My mom laughed at my befuddled expression.

"My dear! You'll get wrinkles! You don't want to ruin that awfully pretty face so early, do you? Even with me as your mother, you're still prone to mortal aging."

I snapped.

"Is that all that matters to you!?" I said coldly, "You, the goddess of feelings, can for sure read emotions! You know I'm upset! You know Silena's death is eating me up!" Before I knew it, tears were streaming, "Is that it!? Is how I look really all that matters!? How can you be so shallow?!"

Aphrodite paused at this and considered me. I saw an expression on her face I never thought her features knew. For a moment, she had the look of guilt and pity. She immediately exchanged it for a serious look, as if she were about to split up a couple she didn't like.

"It's an ugly truth, my dear," Aphrodite said, "but in this world, beauty is power. The world is shallow. Pretty can get you a long way. Especially for my children who don't have many other redeeming qualities. Now wipe those tears. Your makeup is running."

I wanted to scream. I stepped forward, not knowing why. To hit her maybe? Before I could find out, she disappeared in a pink flash of light. She'd abandoned me me once again, a crying mess. Thank the gods no one was in my cabin.

I heard a knocking on the doorframe.

"Y/n," said the familiar voice of my best friend, "You okay?"

I quickly wiped my face with my forearm and turned to Percy Jackson.

"Fine. What's up?" I responded.

"Annabeth and I decided where we wanna go for vacation. You good with Japan?" he asked

"I told you I'm fine with anything." I said as I brushed my hair from my face.

"Alright, just checking. C'mon lets go talk to Chiron about ground rules and boring stuff like that."

I followed Percy to the Big House where our camp trainer was waiting.

"Cool sword," said Percy.

I nodded in thanks and examined the intricate designs carved on the blade. Roses, hearts, shells, doves, and pearls. All symbols of my mother.

It seemed everything in my life was connected to her.