26/ cipher

I took a deep breath and opened the notebook on a random page. I ran my fingers through the pages swiftly, all I could see were some scribbles, drawings, rhymes and tic-tac-toe tournaments. I overheard Marshall placing the order over the telephone, so I knew I still had some time to go through the notebook. 

Nothing interesting, just some more drawings. I almost went through the entire notebook, thinking that it was unnecessary going through his stuff like that, basically for nothing. It was on the last page what caught my eye.  

''Yo Tanya,'' I heard Marshall call. I closed the notebook and placed it back on the table. 

''No olives, right?'' 

''Congrats, you finally managed to memorize it,'' 

''Good cuz I already placed the order, so I hope they ain't gonna fuck it up like the last time'' 

My stomach was rumbling from the alcohol diet. I was still kinda nauseous, even though I wasn't THAT wasted. I also been nauseous for some time even before I drank any alcohol that night.

'I'm gonna take a shower, cash is on the counter, just in case,'' I just nod my head, still deep in my thoughts. 

Just as I heard the bathroom door close, I got my eyes on the notebook again. I felt really tempted to open it again, even though I knew there wasn't anything worth the time. 

''Okay, for the last time,'' I bit my lip and grabbed the notebook once again. 

Nothing.

Nada.

Hold up.

There was something odd about this page. No scribbles, no rhymes. There was a list of random people's names. Most of them were chicks, few guys here and there. I couldn't figure out who is who. Some of them were nicknames, like 'ABQ' , 'da dawg' 'raccoon' and such,  making it super difficult to figure anything out. I mean, raccoon, really?

There were shortcuts next to each name and a phone numbers, I suppose, and addresses. The date in the top right corner was only few days old. I literally had no idea what was I looking at. 

Lovers? 

Dates? 

Illegal stuff? 

My heart was beating fast, thoughts were flowing. 

Should I try and call those people? Should I let it just be? Should I find myself somebody else as well? Should I just wait and go through the notebook again later? 

''Shut the fuck up, will ya'' I uttered to myself. Overthinking will only make things worse. 

I heard a car pull up in the parking lot, so I peeked out of the window. 

Dinner's ready. I grabbed my keys, and slipped one of them between my fingers. It can get creepy walking all alone in the halls of this motel. 

I kept turning my head, to reassure myself. I hope the food is still warm. 

I paid for the food and went swiftly back to the apartment. Marshall was already out of the bathroom, sitting on a couch, wearing nothing but his 'bed boxers,' feet up on the table. I wish I could be half as chilled as he was. 

We didn't really talk much as we were eating and watching some dumb late night show. I could see Marshall checking me out a few times, from the corner of my eye.

 I was just quiet. He can already tell if there's something bothering me. 

The food was good, but I felt even more nauseous than before. 

He caressed my thigh, '' you okay?'' he asked, concerned.

''Yeah, no, yeah, all good'' I smiled, but it wasn't an honest one. 

''Right, spill it'' he knows me too damn well to tell something's not right. 

I had to think of something, fast. 

''It's just about my job,'' I shrugged. My heart was beating like crazy, trying not to tell him what was REALLY bothering me. 

''It's gonna be alright, you'll see,'' he sighed as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder, squeezing it gently. 

Of course it is gonna be alright.. until I wake up again. 

__________________

it took me way too long to come up with another chapter. i'm sorry to those who waited, but here it goes. the chapter is shorter than old chapters, because i didn't want to force myself to write a long one, because you know, been a while and i gotta get use to it. i hope you'll enjoy this chapter just like the rest of this 'book'. i missed you all. 

i'd like to post a new chapter once or twice a week, because i got the inspiration i needed so bad. i moved in to a new apartment, i live by myself so i got a lots of time on my hands. i also apologise for any grammar mistakes, reminder: english is my third language. 

thank you for your patience. 

until the next time, take care.