19/ mandala

1 month later
__________

"We'll call you to let you know if you got the job" the woman, sitting behind her desk stated and offered me a handshake.
"Alright, thank you for your time" I smiled at her and accepted her handshake.

I started to search for a new job a few weeks ago. Not that I didn't like the job in petshop, in fact, I was happy in there. Well, I still work there, and I'd like to keep it that way. I mean, I like animals, it's no rush in there and co-workers are just fine- even tho it's only Evan.

The thing is that Marshall wanted me to be as far from Evan as possible. Especially after their little chat a month ago, when I was returning Evan his car.

I don't want to leave my current job, I'm okay with the way how things are.
But I'm doing it for Marshall's sake. I'm doing it for our relationship.
There was always a little tension whenever our conversation turned in Evan's way. Whenever I brought something that happened in work with Evan, Marshall was pretty annoyed. I wanted to let him know that he's my friend and co-worker. Nothing more- nothing less. I'm not gonna lie, Evan's a really good looking guy with a nice personality. If I was single, I'd be probably into him. A lot. He has his own "pros and cons", but who doesn't?

Even though I don't want to leave my job, I'm kinda excited about the new one. I always wanted to do some kind of office job, and this was just perfect. If they'll choose me, I'd be a new assistant in one the fashion company here in Detroit. You know, answering calls, timetable managing, coffee girl, helping with setting up the meetings. No more orange petshop dress code.

A new job won't stop me from seeing Evan.

It will stop me, I don't need him. All I need is Marshall.

My imagination was running wild. I can't simply forget about Evan. I know that I'd never cheat on Marshall. He's all I ever wanted from my partner. We matched perfectly and we work like a well-oiled machine.
All our major fights were caused by Evan. And, of course, by Marshall's jealousy. I've had many opportunities to approach him and cause a fight.

The night when I came home to see Marshall, his friends and those girls what were all over them?

These chicks that came to me when I came for Marshall to the bar? "Tell Marshall we've had fun," remember?

And what about the thing he's keeping away from me? Thing or things?

I could go and ask him right now. But I won't do that.

I don't want to put our relationship in danger. I don't want drama.

I want to know.

I did some shopping on my way home because we've had literally nothing in our fridge. I also ran out of my 'envelope' money, so now it's just mine and Marshall's salary what's keeping a roof above our heads. And to be honest, we have some struggles.

I stuffed all the food I've bought in two paper bags, grabbed them and headed outside of the supermarket. I don't know how, but somehow I bumped into another person.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't see you there" I apologized to this girl. She was rather tall, skinny and pale. Her hair in the color of midnight black with bangs. Her nose was so pointy, her eyes round and her lips so full. But not as full as mine- I was always proud of my lips.

"It's okay, I should've paid attention" she gave me a half smile.
She helped me pick up some things what fell out and shoved them back to my paper bags.

"I haven't seen you in the city. Are you new or somethin' " she asked me curiously.

"Um, yeah. I've been living in Detroit for over three months" I answered and started to walk in the direction of our apartment. I nodded my head to give the girl a signal to join me.

"I'm Jane, by the way" she introduced herself to me. Does it mean that I have a girlfriend now?

"Tanya, nice to meet you"

"So what do you do for a living?" she was actually interested in what I was saying.
"Well, I'm working in this pet shop. But I found myself another job, so I hope they will choose me" I sighed, "how about you? What's your occupation?"

"I have a tattoo salon downtown. You should definitely come and take a look around" she raised her brow, waiting for my answer.
I was taken aback. Positively taken aback.

"Sure, I'd love to" I smiled at her with a hint of excitement in my voice.

"Alright, so, this is where I live" I nodded my head at the motel.
"Well, isn't it a bit dangerous for a girl like you?" I guess she knew how does the motel look from the inside.
"I share an apartment with my boyfriend, Marshall" I couldn't help but I smiled at the thought of him.
"Marshall who?" she was concerned when I mentioned Marshall's name.
"Marshall, my boyfriend" I repeated.
"Oh, boyfriend. Alright, see you around"
"Sure thing"
We smiled at eachother and turned our backs.

"Hey, Jane. What's the name of your tattoo saloon?" I shouted at her because she was like 20 meters away from me.

"Mandala"

Mandala?  Alrighty then.

I stepped out of the shower and changed into Marshall's oversized shirt I sleep in.

I placed my ass on the couch and turned our prehistoric television on.

I checked the time. 9:10 PM.

"Where the hell is  he?" I murmured under my breath and took a look out of the window.

Marshall should've been back like three hours ago. I know, there could be another rap battle going on  tonight, but he could at least tell me about it.

Another two hours passed by and I felt my eyelids started to be heavy. I gave up and decided to go and try to sleep.

I didn't even try to call Marshall.
Why? He wouldn't answer the call. I knew it.

Right when I was about to fall asleep, a squeaky sound of our front door got my full attention.
I opened my eyes. Waiting for another sound.

I've heard Marshall curse and hiss a few times. I was worried that he's not alright.

A shuffle of his feet was coming closer and closer until he opened the door of our bedroom.

I closed my eyes, pretending I was asleep. He came to me, placed a kiss on my cheek and then made his way to our bathroom.

I felt something wet on my face. I rubbed my cheek with my hand, turned the nightstand light on and checked the hand.

What the fuck?

A blood.

Marshall's blood.