21/ peretti

We were sitting in something you can call a "pre-office" I guess. Or should I say "my future office"?

"Don't set your hopes up, Tanya" I whispered, trying not to be too loud. Well, the other 4 girls turned their heads at me and scoffed.

My eyes were falling from clocks to my fingers I was nervously tapping on my thighs with.
I've had no idea why I've been so nervous. There was actually nothing to worry about.
If I didn't get the job, I still had my place in the pet store with Evan.

Um, yes, that's right. Evan has no idea about my potential new job.
I know, I know. I should've told him sooner so he could start with searching for a new co-worker.
It's 50/50.

50%- Yes, I'd really like to get the job. It would be something new, something completely different, better paid. New people, new opportunities.

50%- I don't want to step out of my comfort zone. I'm used to my current workplace. No stress, no rush. Evan's a nice co-worker. He's okay with me being 15 minutes late almost every day. But well, we are running out of money. Like really, my envelope is now completely empty and my salary can hardly cover my life. Our lives. You know, "no money, no funny"

15 minutes and a thousand nervous finger taps later.

The door of the main office opened slowly and an older lady stepped out. I knew her, she was the one who interviewed me a few days ago.

"Good day" she scanned us all before she continued speaking, "I'm glad you all came here today"

Would you cut it, grandma? I was nervous like hell and all I wanted to hear was if I'm the "chosen one", no talking, just get right to the core.

She invited us to the boss' office and that's when all the nervousness fell down off my shoulders.

We sat down on a black leather couch, looking around the office. Almost everything is made out of massive wood, but still, very modern and timeless. A long "meeting" table with an iMac on one side together with a bunch of papers and folders. But not really messy.

I crossed my legs because I felt kinda uncomfortable in a tight and rather short skirt. I'll have to get used to it if I will get the job, nevermind.
I'm doing it for me, Marshall.
For us.

A man entered the room. He was in his thirties, fine suit, well-trimmed beard and his dark, classy hair in a medium length partly in his face and partly combed. He scanned us all and that pushed the level of my,,,uncomfortability''' even higher. Welcome to the fifty shades?

He grabbed a few papers from his table and checked them out quickly. We were watching every move he made.
He noticed.
"Your résumés," he said dryly, in a quite deep voice.
After what seemed like forever, he handed the papers to the older woman and now there was only one paper in his hand.

"Shred them" he commanded and I swear to god all of us on the couch gulped loudly.
The woman grabbed the papers, gave us a quick nod and disappeared.

"Peretti" he stated. After a few seconds, I realized what was going on. I raised my head and blinked at him, expecting the worst to come.

"Miss Peretti, you stay here. The rest is free to go, thank you for your time" he gave the girls a half smile and pointed at the door. That was quick.

The girls were rightfully surprised and taken aback. But told is told. After the girls left, he pointed at an empty chair and he himself sat down in his big chair by the iMac.

"So, Peretti. Italian?" he folded his arms and scanned me once again.
I've had to think, then it hit me. My surname.

"Yes, mom's family is full of Italians" I chuckled nervously and shifted in my seat.

"So you got the temper, I suppose?"
"No, not really. I'm way more like my dad" a wave of sadness rushed through my body but I've tried to hide it. Successfully. This topic is for another day.

"Well, you'll need it," he raised his brows, "but don't you worry, I'll guide you"

No thanks.

"Thank you, sir" Jesus Christ, 'sir', really?
He smiled the first second my lips let out the 'sir' word.

"Alright, so come tomorrow morning. Shall we say at seven?"
I nodded, not saying a word. For my own good.

"We'll sign the contracts and you'll get all the pieces of information"
"I'll be there, yes"
He stood up and offered me a handshake, I accepted it even though I'm really awkward when it comes to handshaking

He walked me to the door, we've said our goodbyes and I left.

P H E W.
Jesus, this is all too much.

When I left the building, I searched for Marshall's car, but it was nowhere in sight.

Really, Marshall?

I searched for my phone in my purse and turned it on. When I checked the screen, there was a message from Marshall.

That is just perfect

That is just perfect. I can't wait to tell him about my success, but I guess I gotta wait.
(And my skirt isn't as short as you may think)

I received his text like 10 minutes ago.
" You better show up soon, Mathers" I whispered to myself and no way, ten seconds after I finished the sentence I could see Marshall's Oldsmobile rolling down the road.

He slowed the car and honked which made me almost jump in shock.

I sat down and punched Marshall's arm.
"How dare you scare new boss' assistant like that?" I pulled out my posh accent on him, and he chuckled. That damn, adorable and silly chuckle.

"Argh, I knew you'll get the job. You got the guns" I felt his hand on my bare thigh moving higher and higher, sending both hot and cold shivers down my body.

"Guns? Care to explain?" I playfully furrowed my brows.
Marshall's eyes fell immediately down to my cleavage, his hand rested on my inner thigh, almost 'there'.

"I think you know god damn well what I'm talkin' 'bout, babydoll"
I rolled my eyes and kissed him instead. Marshall kissed me back, eagerly. I knew he would drag me on the back seat and screw me.
If only we were in a more secluded place.

Marshall interrupted the kiss just to look me in the eyes.

"You are perfect" he almost whispered.
"Nothing is perfect" I gave him a quick answer. He just tilted his head a bit, his adoring smile grew even bigger as he was looking at me.

"Well, some things are," he said and squeezed my thigh slightly.

I'm so lucky, you know.

For now, at least.

__________
hello folks,
first of all, I'm sorry for the waiting. I know I should've let you know what's happening with this story, but now I'm back, I'm on the rag and ovulating 😎

My final exams are in four months and you can't imagine how anxiety-full it can get (okay, I'm sure you can). And by the way, I received my driving license this week. Well, that's funny since I have no car.
Let me know how did you like this chapter.
Thank you, pretty people.
M.