TWO

"Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for each dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life." - Stephan King.

* * *

It had been just over two weeks since Louise had met that unforgettable man in the elevator that day, and she now flipped a page over from her favourite book; sat perched on the edge of her overused hospital bed, legs crossed and hair tied up in a bun messily. Her lip tugged under her top set of teeth, turning slightly pink as she bit down softly out of concentration

She had just finished taking her medication; for which that included multiple tablets and capsules - swallowing them down with a small glass of water that always made her gag. Now, Louise opted on relaxing by grabbing one of her many favourite books; 'The Narrative of John Smith' by Arthur Conan Doyle.

Her index finger circled each bottom page in small circles, causing a tingling sensation in the pad of her skin. She smiled softly, the curves of her lips slightly twitching to a grin as her eyes scanned each paragraph gracefully.

It was so quiet. Especially for a hospital; with barely any patients and only a handful of screaming kids. In fact, Louise enjoyed it like this - she enjoyed the peacefulness as she relaxed in her hospital bed. The quietness caused a sense of happiness and comfort in her soul as the ward she was on remained just about silent.

Louise swung her legs over to the side of her bed, heaving herself off and feet now touching the cold floor.
A book still in one hand, and the other one clutching an asthma pump, she padded her bare feet over towards a large window overlooking the busy streets.

Cars whizzed past; people walked hand in hand with others and life just seemed to continue around her. Louise sighed, wanting this week to pass as quick as possible so she could finally get back to work and to seeing her close friends.

Earlier that day, Louise was told that she were able to be discharged from hospital as soon as the nurses felt confident that she were safe to be let go. To her surprise, the nurses had said that her fever had cleared up nicely, and by the end of the week she would be able to pack up her bags and leave.
Louise was ecstatic to hear the news, for her to know that in a few days she could return back to work and see all of her good friends; and to visit her loving father and brother.

Louise rested one hand against the window, feeling the cold glass press against her warm skin. It shocked her a little, but after a few seconds, she soon got used to it. With her favourite book balanced between her other fingers, Louise bounced her eyesight from the life outside her window, to the ink words printed in the coffee-coloured pages.

A nasal cannula sat just underneath her nostrils, pumping oxygen up and into her almost clogged airway. She swallowed hard, chewing down at her cracked bottom lips as she focused on the book she were reading.

"Hey Louise," a nurse's voice echoed gently from the door that was now jarred open slightly. Louise swung around and closed her book, "oh hi!" she paused, "is it that time already?"
The nurse chuckled and wheeled in a small cart, of which it held multiple clear boxes of Louise's daily medication, "unfortunately."

Louise padded over, on the way dropped her book on her bed, and stood beside her usual nurse. The nurse wore faint freckles on coffee coloured skin, beautiful hazel eyes and plump lips; with brown, chocolate frizzy hair framing her sharp face shape.