day sixteen

Keith has a crush on Lance.

This realization comes during training one morning, on one of those rare days when Keith and Lance are working together, totally in sync. Sparring together against the gladiator bot, Keith crouches and swings his shield around to protect them both. Lance uses the top of the shield to balance his bayard-gun, takes aim, and fires. As Keith covers the two of them from enemy fire, he looks up at Lance’s face, his concentrated expression, the tension in his jaw, and simply thinks, “Oh.”

He doesn’t realize he’s been staring until Lance’s shot hits the droid square in the forehead, and the simulated voice says, “training sequence terminated.” Keith’s sword and shield retract to their original shape and he stands, sweaty and grinning. This is a personal best for the two of them. Lance straightens up as well, flashing Keith his signature smile that may or may not cause Keith’s stomach to do a 180.

“Not bad, dropout,” he says.

In the beginning, this might have caused Keith’s temper to flare, but now, it’s simply a part of their banter, their daily routine. Almost like a term of endearment.

“Not so bad yourself, cargo pilot.”

Lance, too, has mellowed out since they became a team, and he laughs shortly. “Fighter pilot!” he corrects, but he high fives Keith anyway.

They always high five after they beat the gladiator, so why is it that this time, Keith’s fingers stay there just a tick too long? It’s not long enough for Lance to notice, of course, and the moment is broken as the rest of the team joins in their celebrating. Shiro praises their improving teamwork, of course, and offers helpful suggestions for next time. Then, it’s Pidge and Hunk’s turn in the ring.

Lunchtime is more or less the same as always. Keith, however, is inside his own head, thinking furiously. He understands the slight nervousness he’s been feeling around Lance now. He understands why Lance seems to be in his head all the time--it’s not their “rivalry,” as Lance calls it, no, it’s something much worse. Out of everyone in the world (in the galaxy!) the one he has to have a crush on is Lance. Lance, who flirts obnoxiously with every girl he meets, who seems to hate Keith most of the time, who is oblivious and annoying and... and... somehow charming? He resists the urge to slam his face into his food goo. Why him?

He eyes Lance across the table as he talks animatedly with his mouth full of Altean food. He really should find this gross, he thinks, but instead he’s focused on Lance’s gesturing hands, the ever-present mischievous glint in his eyes. He stops talking for a moment as Pidge joins the conversation, and Keith’s eyes are drawn to Lance’s lips. He’s never really noticed Lance’s lips before this moment. Everyone has lips, they’re just part of a face, right?

He doesn’t realize Lance has started talking again until,

“Hey! Are you even listening to me?”

Keith blushes, stares, his brain unresponsive.

“Earth to Keeeeeith!” Lance continues.

“Sorry,” Keith finally says. “I was just... thinking. I uh, I’m gonna go... train.”

He gets up in a rush, his half-finished food forgotten in his embarrassment, and all but runs from the dining room as Lance, Shiro, Hunk, and Pidge stare.