day twenty

MAJOR ANGST WARNING

Lance let out a noise of frustration, slamming his fist into the training simulation wall.  He was the only one in the room, the walls were dark and there was no one to hear him screaming in frustration as he lost round after round.

Keith bet these rounds easy, the blue pilot’s mind helpfully supplied and Lance started the simulation up again. 

It was the same one they’d done the first time, dodging from orbs, only it was at a much harder level.  He was meant to be doing this with someone to watch his back but there was no one to do so now.

Lance remembered nights he couldn’t sleep just like this one.  Nights where the pressure got to him and he’d have panic attacks as he thought about just what they were up against and exactly what would happen if they lost.  Or sometimes it was nights when the loneliness settled in.  Nights when Hunk was asleep and couldn’t listen to him miss his family.  Nights after he’d found out about Pidge’s family and didn’t want to dump the burden on him. 

He’d started walking around the castle on these nights.  Sometimes he’d found somewhere to sleep usually he’d just walk.  It was one of these nights that he heard the training simulation running.

Lance shot at one of the orbs that was aiming at him and dodged a shot of one behind him.  He was breathing heavily, eyes focused and determined despite his body screaming for rest.

Keith had been in the simulation when Lance looked in.  He was training when he should be sleeping but Lance wasn’t really one to talk.  He don’t know why but he stepped inside and shoot at one of the orbs that Keith had missed.  He’d started keeping his bayard on him 24/7 since the time he’d almost been blown up.  Keith jumped and turned, calling for the simulation to end.  It did.

“What are you doing up?”  Keith frowned at him and Lance let his usual smirk rest on his face, though it didn’t quite reach his eyes. 

“Could as you the same thing.  You know you’re meant to do this simulation with at least one other person, right?”  Lance said and Keith stared for a minute before shrugging.

“Fine, you can join me if you want then.”  Lance was a little taken aback by the offer but, after a moment joined Keith.  They made a good team.

An orb hit him in the back and Lance grunted, listening to the ‘simulation over’ voice play.  He let himself sink against the wall as he tried to catch his breath.

He’d sat with Keith, both panting, after they’d finished the level on the simulator.  “We make an awesome team.”  Lance said.

“Yeah.”  Keith agreed.  “Wanna tell me why you’re up this late?”  Lance hesitated a moment, rubbing his neck and frowning.  A good few minutes passed in silence and Keith just waited.