009. A Desperate Attempt.

ACT 4, CHAPTER 9.

▬▬▬▬▬

"We deeply apologise, Your Majesty, but we still couldn't find the body of Prince Angelico." The knights kneeled in front of him.

King Gazelian was a tall, dark man with a short grey beard. He was standing in front the window of his office. He was looking outside as he thinks of ways to subjugate the entire Kingdom of Abergeldie. He was able to kill their King, but since the citizens of Abergeldie are convinced that the last Prince of Gothenbury was still alive, almost all of them were still hoping that they will soon be freed from Gazelian's hands.

King Gazelian wanted to crush their prideful hopes, so they would submit themselves to him, completely. Currently, he is only known as the 33rd King of the Monally Kingdom and the conqueror of the Abergeldie Kingdom. He hasn't been acknowledged by the citizens of Abergeldie as their new ruler.

What good would be a conquerer do if his new people wouldn't acknowledge him? He might as well become a real tyrant and kill those who oppose him as an example. But knowing the conviction of the Abergeldie people, he would only lose all of them instead of gaining more people for his future empire.

King Gazelian turned around to face his knights. His dark eyes gazing down on them.

'Failure isn't welcome in here,' he thought. And with a snap of his fingers, a dark entity arose from his shadow and killed his knights. The dark entity's red eyes glanced at the greedy king before hiding back in the King's shadow.

"Laurent," he called.

A tall man with blonde hair entered the room. He didn't even flinch when he saw the dead bodies on the floor. He only went straight to the King, as if it was a normal sight to behold.

"You called, Your Majesty?" Laurent kneeled in front of him.

The man stared at him for a second. Laurent was the most loyal knight he has and probably the most capable one. Aside from that, he was also the General Commander of the King's First Knight Division, personally appointed by the King himself. So handing this simple task to him would spare him another stressing moment from the others.

"I need you to find the last prince of the Gothenbury." The King paused then he turned around to face the window once again. "However, do not kill him." Laurent flinched when he heard the rest of his words. "I need him alive, along with the people who helped him."

Laurent was still frowning as he stared down at the floor. At first, a thought slipped on his mind that the King might be reconsidering the suggestion of his Chancellor: by capturing the prince alive and using him as a puppet to rule the Abergeldie domain. But it seems that his sudden assumption was wrong.

"Yes, Your Majesty," he answered.

There was a smirk on his face as he left the King's office. He wasn't excited to capture the kid, but he was thrilled knowing that there was a possible opponent he could fight in this mission.

The King sighed loudly that the person on the hidden doorway of his office heard. The woman chuckled as she stepped out of the hidden room.

"Are you that entertain to see me struggling to find your missing child, Victoria?" The King asked, throwing her a sulky look.

The woman called Victoria only flipped her auburn hair then she wrapped her arms around his waist, hugging him from behind. "It's just interesting to watch you erase every part of that dead King in this world."

"Interesting?" King Gazelian turned to face her. He wrapped his arm around her waist and cupped her cheek with the other. He tilted her head up, making her look at him. "I just want us to live happily without being reminded of that bastard's insolence." The King leaned his face closer to hers, and he whispered, "After all, he dared to covet what is mine."

The side of Victoria's lips curved upwards as she pressed her velvet pairs against King Gazelian's plump ones. The two shared an intimate moment in the King's office, beside the dead knights.

Laurent, on the other hand, went to the Knights Headquarters. He needed to gather extra hands in order for this mission to be successful. And since they couldn't find the missing prince with their current power, he was thinking of using other means in order to find any clues about the prince.

"Jeremiah," Laurent called. A brown-haired knight stood in front of him. "I need you to file a request to the information guild. Give this current portrait of the prince. Make sure not to mention any other things about the child, aside from the fact that he's missing."

"As you wish, General." Jeremiah saluted then he went out to do his task.

Laurent was left alone in the headquarters. He was now utilizing his free time to check on the reports of the previous knights who handled this mission before him. He might find any clues that he can use.

▬▬▬

"After this part is the City of Velacian. Are you excited to see your new home?" Lily asked.

Roan looked up to her, his lips pursing as he tilted his head a little. He noticed her stiff composure. "You look restless, Lily."

Lily ruffled her hair as soft grumbles escaped her lips. "Practice calling me mom. I wasn't joking when I told you I'll adopt you."

Roan flinched and he quickly shook his head. He wasn't used to that kind of thing since all his life, it has always been a nanny who took care of him. Lily squinted her eyes at him then she leaned closer as she eyed him.

"Are you rejecting my offer?"

"No! I just... I'm not..." Roan trailed off, lips pouting as his index fingers touched together.

Iris chuckled as she watched the two. They were currently at an Inn in the Capital of Monally where they've decided to take a short rest. Corvus was out, gathering a few stuff, like books for children.

It hasn't been a week since Iris and Corvus were charmed by the child's cuteness. It was one morning when Lily was out to check their location. Roan was busy playing with the pen and papers that Lily gave to him. Then the child went towards them, handing them a piece of papers each.

At first, they were confused about the paper, but as they look at it, they saw a small figures drawn in it. It felt a little heartwarming to receive a gift from someone they're not really closed with.

"I drew those to commemorate our blossoming friendship," is what the child said.

They were surprised to hear him say such adult things since the child was still so young. And from then on, the two have begun opening up to him. Little did they know that Roan was also doing that to avoid getting kicked out. The kid was too scared to be left alone once again. He might appear to be using them, but Roan didn't really have any malicious thing hiding on his sleeve.

"I'm back, master," Corvus announced as he entered their room.

Roan quickly stood from his seat then he run towards Corvus. He hugged the latter, welcoming him, and avoiding Lily's persuasiveness. Lily frowned at the sight.

"I'm gonna kick this kid out if he refuses my offer," Lily grumbled.

Iris giggled as she heard her master's rants. "I think the kid needs time to adapt, master. We should give him some time to adjust to his new surrounding or he might feel scared if we force him even more," she said.

Lily heaved a heavy sigh, nodding her head. It seems like she needs to listen to her. After all, Iris knows more about kids than any of them. Maybe it's the maternal instinct of a queen butterfly.

"Fine, fine. I will."

Roan felt relieved when he heard that. Now he can mentally practice calling her mom. Something he hasn't done before.