Chapter 11: Good People Can Do Evil Deeds

author's note: okay so the voice princess justice hears is Hawkmoth- the rest, "he", is Adrien. the reason Marinette remembers what went on when she was akumatized is up for you to decide, although I will say I had in mind a mix of all 3 :) also, it is not that akumatized victims just lie because of an unknown force/instinct, like it is implied in the story.

marinette's POV

"Present!" He yells, then throws his tambourine in the air. Suddenly, there's a large pink light. I can sense someone yelling at me in my head, but can't help but be drawn to the strange light. Suddenly, I see an Illusion. An Illusion of... Adrien and Lila. On the ground. Dead. Their bodies just lie there like forgotten dolls.

Just like I want.

"See, Princess Justice?" he says, hoping that the present power would make me vulnerable. Weak. But I know better. "Adrien will always lo-"

I blast him with my wand, enjoying his suffering. I feel a sensation of sadness. Regret. Empathy for him. But something pushes the feeling down, and I'm back to finding joy in his pain.

"Is this... the end..." He says, his weak body laying on the ground in the middle of the park. I use all my power to blast him again, and slowly take his ring off.

"Finally," The voice says. The one that replaced my pain with pleasure. The one who gave me this power. Hearing his voice feels good. He helped me, I tell myself. I look down and see Adrien, bruised and hurt. Not just physically, but also emotionally. I can tell he's upset, and almost feel bad for a moment.

Almost.

"I... love...y-" Adrien starts, but I interrupt his useless words.

"WAIT-" The voice says, but it's too late. I need this.

"Save it," I reply, blasting him with all my power. He just lies there, his dead body in the middle of what used to be a beautiful park, filled with all sorts of plants, animals, and people. Now all I see are dying plants and dog poop.

"I-I told you... to stop..." The voice says, sounding desperate. I feel as though his pain is my pain now, even though I have no idea why he's upset in the first place. I thought he wanted Chat Noir to die. To get his miraculous. 

"A-Adrien... he's..." His voice trails off, almost completely in another world. Like he doesn't want to believe what he just saw. "I-I told you... this is my fault..." He repeats, still grasping the situation. I hear his sobs through our connection, going in and out like a broken telephone. I don't get it. Did Adrien mean something to him? Doesn't Adrien mean something to me?

"M-my son... y-you... killed him..." He reveals. Everything clicks in my head. Everything makes sense now. This voice... this man... is Adrien's father, Gabriel Agreste.

Suddenly, I hear sobs and worries and thoughts about how Adrien is dead and how it's my fault and that I'm a horrible person. I realize that they're not coming from me, but from Mr. Agreste, his voice echoing in my head.

Then everything stops.

I can't hear anything anymore. Everything goes black, and I feel as though a chain has broken. As though I am finally free.

                         ------------------------------------------------------------

I wake up, and a rush of pain, betrayal, regret, empathy, and sadness hits me all at once. I feel a sense of melancholy-like I don't know why I'm even feeling these things-and then it all comes back to me. Hawkmoth luring me into his little game to get the miraculous... me falling into his trap and harming Chat Noir... Chat Noir turning out to be Adrien... Hawkmoth revealing himself as Gabriel Agreste... and Adrien's cold dead body, which I sit beside, his last words telling me that he loves me.