Chapter 3 - 2x02

Kaitlyn P

Kaitlyn P.O.V.

"Wake up sleepyhead," I heard a voice coo, and I shot upwards out of bed startled. 

Sitting at the end of the bed was Damon Salvatore, smirking at my bedraggled state. 

"Get out of my room!" I shrieked, throwing a pillow at him, which he easily caught. 

"Um, actually, you're in my room," he reminded me, setting the pillow on the bed. 

Oh right, I accidentally fell asleep in his bed. Oops. 

"Where did you sleep?" I asked him, curiously.

Even though I was slightly mad at him, I couldn't help but feel the same childish adoration I did 146 years ago. 

"On the couch, didn't want to wake you," he said matter-of-factly, and I nodded. "Donovan called your phone like 5 times."

I groaned. "Why does he always call me when I'm asleep?!"

I picked up my phone from the nightstand and saw that I indeed had 4 missed phone calls. I pressed his number and put the phone to my ear. 

"Finally, you answered," came his cheery voice on the other line. "I was wondering if you wanted to go with me to the hospital. I'm just checking up on Caroline."

"What happened to her?" I asked in alarm. 

"Kaitlyn, tons of people got injured yesterday. There was some crazy fire in Mystic Falls. Tyler was driving away and somehow lost control of the car. Caroline got unlucky."

 "Right, that," I said, quickly covering up for myself. "Sure, I'll come. But I don't think she'll want to see me."

"Please come with me. Maybe you guys will bond," Matt begged, and I rolled my eyes, unable to refuse. 

"I doubt it. But okay, fine," I sighed. "I'll meet you at the hospital in 30 minutes."

"Visiting Blondie?" Damon asked curiously, and I nodded. 

"Well, thanks for letting me sleep here, but it's never happening again," I warned him, getting off the bed and grabbing my phone with me. 

He reached for my arm, and I blinked rapidly at the touch.

"Hey did you by any chance go out of the house yesterday?" he asked suspiciously, and I shook my head. 

"No. Why?"

"Because the door was slightly ajar and the house smelled like perfume," he remarked, and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. 

"That wasn't me," I told him, easing my arm out of his grip. 

He noticed my discomfort and gave me a questioning glance. 

"Look, you're going to have to give me a few days to warm up to the idea of you guys being undead bloodsucking creatures. I still can't believe this is actually real," I explained, and he nodded understandingly.