Chapter 22 - 3x01

A/N: IMPORTANT: For the purposes of the story and this flashback, please know that Kol has not been daggered from 1985-1986 :)

1986 Flashback

New Orleans was beautiful this time of year. There were street festivals, music, and art, all the things I greatly enjoyed. I had only been living here for 4 years, and I was sad to say that I would have to move on again in a few months.

It was also a place in which I had heard there were many supernatural occurrences, which was the original reason I had moved here. But no matter how hard I tried, the citizens didn't like to talk about it.

They would talk about creatures of the night who fed on blood and men who turned into animals every month, but I had a hard time believing that crap. I also tried to see women who claimed to be witches and had them run tests on me, to see what I was.

They all turned out to be fakes. Or maybe, there really WERE witches, yet they couldn't figure out how I was still alive.

My time in Augustine had turned me into an even frailer shell of myself. Now 3 decades after I had escaped, I slowly started jumping less at noises, having horrible nightmares, and puking at the sight of blood.

"You're supposed to be Layla, the witch of the underworld right?" I asked tiredly as the woman sat down in front of me, her props in hand.

I had been meeting with various women and men who claimed to see the future or know the supernatural every few months, and I was running out of ideas.

"Yes yes!" she said extravagantly. "And you are the girl who does not age."

"Yup, that's me."

"Give me your hands dear," she ordered, grabbing them before I could resist.

She closed her eyes and started humming deep in her throat, and I looked around to make sure no one thought we were crazy. She squeezed my fingers so hard they almost started hurting, and right when I was about to pull away in frustration, she let go with a gasp.

"Oh child," she whispered under her breath, leaning in towards me. "This is not good at all."

Her breath smelled like stale lettuce and pepper, and I had to refrain from making a face.

"What," I waited patiently, leaning back and crossing my arms over my chest.

"There's a beast in your future!" she croaked, making motions with her hands. "A man that others call a monster, but that you see as your savior! Ah yes."

"Lady, I didn't ask for a romantic future sighting," I rolled my eyes in anger. "I thought you said you could help me figure out what I am!"

"Eh?" she looked confused. "Oh right, yes. Well, let me see. Mmmm, yes, yes, you are.... you are a special type of something. SUN! MOON! SKY! EARTH!"