In My Dreams [Diluc X Reader]

"Hellooo Angel's Share!" You called out, obnoxiously busting through the front door of the bar.

Most of the people in the bar loudly greeted you back, as you were a regular at the establishment. As much as you loved the locals though, you made your way straight to the bar where Diluc was working, him being your favourite person to mess with.

"You're here later than usual." Diluc commented as he shook up a cocktail.

"Sorry~. I guess I was walking a little slower than usual today." You grinned. "You seem to be pretty slammed tonight though. Do you need any help here?"

As he glanced around the clearly packed bar, he sighed and poured out the drink he finished mixing and garnished it with mild aggression. "I don't have much on me but if you can actually help me again tonight, I'll pay you with all the damn tips I get." He then said, clearly exhausted and in need of help.

"Oh shush. You don't have to pay me anything. Just save me a bottle of wine, hey?" You waved with a wink. "Now who's that drink for?"

"Ah, table upstairs. It's the only one occupied so far." He answered, a little dumbfounded.

"Perfect."

Leaning across his bar, you reached under the counter and pulled out a circular tray from one of the shelves, placing the freshly made cocktail on it and whisking it away upstairs. Diluc watched as you went, amazed by your speed and sincerity. Every time he offered to pay you for your help, you declined without fail. There really was no arguing with you though, so he simply took a bottle of one of his best white wines and put it in an ice bucket to chill, leaving you to do the work you were seemingly so good at. It's an anomaly as to why he hasn't hired you by now.

You returned moments later and hopped over the counter, listing off at least ten new orders to him and already starting to make some of them with a second shaker. He quickly joined your haste and made the remaining drinks alongside you, placing them on your tray. Once they were done you whisked the drinks off to the paying customers once more, letting Diluc finally catch a breath as you handled most of the work with ease. Without fail you kept track of the tabs of all the customers, handing off drink after drink and the occasional bill and stack of coins making their way to Diluc's bar. The place was bustling with positivity, all under your control as you ran up and down the stairs to keep everyone in high spirits. On one of your runs, you dropped a bottle down at Nimrod's table as he called you over, looking as if he was about to burst.

"Hey hey, _______, are you and Diluc dating?" He asked obnoxiously with a slur to his voice.

The surprise comment made you blush a little, and you laughed nervously. "We aren't, my dear Nimrod. Why do you ask?"

"Well, you always come here to bother him, and then you help him out for free! I figured it was because you were together or something. Unless you're just here cause you liiike him~" The man teased, uncorking the bottle you set down and pouring himself a glass.

"Ahah! Oh Nimrod, that's only in my dreams. I wish that were the case." You admitted to him in a low tone.

Though your voice was lowered, Diluc was still able to catch your words from the end of the bar, a light blush dusting his cheeks. He briefly covered his face with one hand to try and calm himself, but he quickly snapped back to himself when you loudly yelled out three new orders. He threw his gloves and jacket down under the counter since it was getting hot in the pub and got right to work, uncorking fresh new bottles and shaking up more cocktails.

The bustle carried on for at least an hour more, both you and Diluc on your feet the entire time. When things had finally started to wind down and there were only one or two people left in the far corners, you both let out sighs of relief. It was one of the busiest nights yet, and when you sat back down at the bar you groaned, relieved to finally catch a break. As you leaned on the bar, Diluc pulled a wine bottle out of an ice bucket and set it down in front of you with a half smile.

"Thanks." He said, putting a wine glass down next to the bottle.

You smiled at the fact that he hadn't forgotten your request and uncorked the bottle right away. "No, thank you~" You remarked, pouring out the sweet wine.

"So, earlier in the night... I may have heard something I wasn't intended to hear yet. Something you said." Diluc then started, leaning back on the wall behind him.

"Define something. I ran my mouth more than once tonight, and the comments I made in response to some stories are certainly less than appropriate for any other public setting." You chuckled.

"It was about me. When you were over at Nimrod's table, you said something like 'in your dreams' when you were referencing me." He carried on, still not outright saying it.

"O-oh..." You mumbled, realizing what he heard. "That."

"Were you serious? Because I heard all of it." He asked.

"... Would you be mad if I said yes?" You replied quietly, swirling the contents of your glass as you stared into it.

"A little..."

You cringed at the response, regret starting to bubble up inside you. How could you be so stupid as to open your mouth.

"For not saying anything sooner, that is." Diluc finished.

"Huh?"

When you looked up at him in confusion, he had pushed himself off of the wall and set his elbows on the bar in front of you, pushing your glass out of the way and yanking you into a surprise kiss. Your gasp was muffled by his lips, one of his hands coming up to your cheek to caress it in a surprisingly gentle way. Though initially shocked, you couldn't help but let instinct take over and lean into the sensation, your arms between his as you supported yourself on the bar. In the last seconds of the kiss you had completely melted, going bright red when he pulled back to look at you with a smirk.

"Didn't expect that, did you?" Diluc commented.

"N-not one bit." You huffed, bringing your glass back over to try and hide your burning cheeks.

"I can make that dream of yours come true if you want. You just need to tell me you wish it to be so." He said cheekily, which was surprising for a man so commonly reserved.

"It sounds to me like you're actually interested in me. Maybe it was alright I didn't keep my mouth shut." You scoffed, taking your first sip. "I would like that very much, Diluc."

"Then let your dreams be so, darling." He said smoothly.

Your blush was a ridiculous shade of red now. Had showing up here almost every night to pester him really rubbed off on him the right way? Clearly it paid off, as he definitely thought of you as more than just a customer, coworker, or friend. As you sipped on your wine, an impossible to get rid of smile was stuck on your face, Diluc also wearing a smile of his own. He picked up one of the many glasses he would need to clean tonight and started to polish it with a rag, leaning on the counter in front of you once more. A long and flirty conversation sparked between you again as something new sparked between the two of you. One thing was certain: you would be getting paid not only in wine from now on, but in kisses as well.