A Little Longer [Xiao X Reader]

A calm evening sitting on the docks of Liyue Harbor was truly unbeatable at times. Being blissfully ignorant of any inherent chaos around you was simply the way to live, taking it easy with a small snack you had brought for yourself while you watched the setting sun dip into the waters before you. It was nice, peaceful... and suddenly windy just to your left. The waters were calm and there was no breeze a few moments ago, so you turned to where you felt the gust, eyes wide with surprise.

"... Xiao?"

"Yes. Good evening, _____." He greeted you cooly, sitting down beside you on the dock.

"What are you doing here, hun? You never leave the Inn."

"Mmm... I felt like... visiting you for once." He spoke sweetly.

"Now this is rare indeed." You chuckled, nudging him with your shoulder. "Did something happen recently that made you this sweet?"

"I guess you could say that... Yes." He nodded.

"Can you tell me? I mean, you must've come here for a reason, right?" You asked, pouring some tea for yourself from a thermos.

He nodded, as if he had expected this. He seemed to have thought about how he was going to speak to you extensively, and actually warned you that you might worry a little too much. That made more sense when he started to tell you of everything that he had experienced in the Chasm recently.

To say you'd be worried was a bit of an understatement. As Xiao told you about being trapped under the earth possibly forever and nearly dying to save the rest of the group on their one shot out of there, your eyes went wide. Every detail had your stomach doing flips, getting more and more shocked that he had actually made it out of that situation alive. You had no idea such a crazy event took place. When he finished his story, you looked at him with a needless worry in your eyes, exactly like he said.

"So, in short, I could've lost you..." You mumbled, briefly staring down into your tea.

"It... seems that way, yes. However, I was granted another chance even if it was at the expense of-" He paused, sighing and then correcting himself. "No. It was simply just a favor done for me. I'm still here now, and I've just been thinking that I should see you a little more often than I do. You know... Just in case something like that ever happens again."

Your gaze returned to him, and a soft little smile of relief pulled up on your lips. "You've changed a lot since this incident, it seems. You're pretty quiet, and we don't spend a lot of time together. Seeing how you came to see me tonight though..."

"Is it bad?" He asked.

"The change? No. I... I quite like that you've become a little more comfortable and trust to confide in me." You spoke quietly.

He huffed, a smile of his own appearing on his face. "I was given a life lesson by people hundreds of years younger than me that I never thought I'd need. I no longer wish to waste my time worrying if you'll end up hurt by me. It's clear you're not. So..."

"Oh wow, even casting aside the worry of your karmic debt... You had a whole revelation down there." You chuckled. "C'mon, I wanted to be the one who made you have an epiphany!"

This made him chuckle a little as well, resting a hand on your leg as the tension in the air eased up. He definitely felt a lot better now that he had explained everything, and on the topic of his newly changed state of mind...

"You get to reap the benefits of me having come to realize how important my time with you is."

"It's about time you realized that. Getting told your karmic debt disallows cuddles is getting to be a poor excuse..." You mumbled in a pouty tone. "I can't believe I almost lost you..."

Xiao finally felt it was the right time to embrace you, catching you a little off guard when he took your little cup of tea and put it down so he could properly turn you around to hug tightly. It had been a while since he had such intimate contact with you, so you instantly melted into his grasp, simply happy to be held again by him. His fingers gently traced patterns on your back, calming you completely to peace.

"I won't be so reckless in the future. I now want to... divide my time to take care of you and this land. Without the dramatic sacrifice of my life." He reassured you.

"Good. That's so wonderful to hear, Xiao." You sighed. "No more talk of me going mad by being in your presence, m'kay?"

"I promise." He huffed. "I wish to hold you just a little longer. You're strong, and have my trust. It's time I showed it."

Xiao then tipped himself over, earning a gasp from you as he dragged you down with him to lie on the docks. He was not often playful, but when you saw his infectious smile when he turned his head back to you, you couldn't even bring yourself to comment on it. It was better to let the moment thrive, a smile of your own returning to you.

"This is a... really pleasant change. I will admit I've wanted to enjoy simpler moments like this with you more often." You hummed.

"I am sorry to have made you wait." Xiao apologized genuinely. "I have seen the other side of some situations now though. I was a bit... wrong with my judgment of remaining away from you for your safety. You'll be fine."

"And so will you, Xiao. I'm glad you've grown. Just goes to show you're never too late to learn something." You smiled.

The two of you chuckled quietly to yourselves, fingers locking together as you stared lovingly at each other. It was still a little scary to think that he was almost lost to you, but seeing him here now, you were thankful he made it out alive. The best part was that he didn't see himself as being a burden for favors now, whether they be small or large. The regard for his own life was just a little bit more cared for, and it made you happy.

Without a word you tugged on him, rolling yourself closer to hug him and rest your head on his chest. He did not tense up, and happily embraced you. It was nice, your hands gripping him tightly as if he would disappear from your grasp any second.

"Xiao... can we stay like this a little longer?" You then asked, still wanting to make sure he was alright with it.

His fingers clenched around the fabric of your clothes, a gentle sigh leaving his lips. "We can stay like this as long as you need."

You lifted your head to smile at him, your heart swollen with care. He had never seen you look so happy, and in the moment, took the chance to steal a kiss from your lips. He hadn't done so in quite some time, both of you surprisingly needier than you thought.

A hand of his came up to caress your cheek, appreciating how soft and warm your skin was. He wished he'd kissed you more often, but he could change that now. He felt like less of a burden, giving in to his selfish desires. You definitely appreciated it, a mere puddle atop his chest as you gave into each other's warmth. It was a little sad when you parted, staring at each other like fools after a first kiss. It wasn't but it almost felt like it.

"I love you Xiao. I don't tell you often enough." You hummed, leaning into his hand.

He sighed, that rarely seen smile slowly twitching upwards on his lips. "I... I love you too, _____. I think I'll be fighting to keep myself alive a little more carefully now. I want moments like this to last a little longer when I'm with you..."

No further words were needed. You could see all he wanted to say in his eyes. He wouldn't be going anywhere any time soon. You'd get to spend plenty more time with him; just a little longer than you usually would have.