Long Awaited Embrace [Zhongli X Reader]

Travelling had its ups and downs. On one hand, you got to experience many new things and meet many new people, which was always exciting. On the other hand though, that meant you had to be away from your love for long periods of time. To him, it may not matter too much though, considering you had fallen in love with an archon. He had already spent thousands of years waiting, watching, and living. A few months without you was probably like a few seconds in his world, which was a painful thought to have. Luckily though, your ache for his presence would be resolved. Adventure called you back to Liyue again.

The traveller had gotten notice of the Chasm just west of Liyue city finally being accessible, and took on a rather lengthy commission from the guild. Naturally, you always went along with them just because of the experiences that followed, but this time you had your own motivations. You would be staying in Liyue and passing up on the adventures the Chasm offered so you could spend some time with Zhongli for once. They could fill you in on what they find later. Your love is more important right now.

You had made arrangements to hop on a ship in a few days, as all the current ones in the port were cargo and full up. The traveller did their incredible business of warping off to where they needed to be, leaving you to wait for your ship. You didn't mind, as Inazuma was a gorgeous country to be in. You passed your time waiting for the ship by writing a letter to send off to Zhongli, informing him of your return with the day and estimated time of arrival. While you wanted it to be a surprise, you were sure a bit of notice would be well appreciated. It was the only activity that could keep your excitement at bay anyway.

"I hope you miss me as much as I miss you, Zhongli..." You mumbled to yourself over a bowl of miso soup.

In time you would find out just how much your godlike lover missed you. It was definitely a lot more than you thought, that's for sure.

===

It was a good thing you didn't give an exact time for your arrival back in Liyue. What was supposed to be an afternoon arrival ended up being an evening one instead thanks to some rough weather on the sea, further delaying your meeting with Zhongli. It was frustrating, but what could you do when you were up against the vastness of the sea? It mattered naught now though, as the ship was drifting on into Liyue port.

Thanking the captain for the safe trip despite the weather, you hopped off and onto the familiar concrete to take a long inhale of the air you missed so much. Liyue wasn't your home, but it sure did feel like it at times. The familiarity was welcoming, and as your vision panned across the port, you finally saw what you came back for in the distance. Standing by a pile of wood was Zhongli, looking at you with glittering gold eyes.

Excitement welled up inside you instantly. How long had he been standing there? Did he wait all day for you? You had to calm yourself as to now overwhelm him, patting your chest a couple times before you started to approach him. He took a couple steps forward, and you tried to maintain a pace that wouldn't make you look desperate and overwhelm him. Your grin betrayed your excitement though, and you were met with quite the surprise once you got close enough to him.

Before you could even say hello, Zhongli stepped up to you rapidly and tugged you into a hug so tight you were almost winded. You didn't expect him to be so eager, which greatly thwarted your expectation of him not missing you a whole lot into the ground. The way his hands held tightly to your waist told you otherwise, and that he missed you just as much as you missed him.

"It seems that you've missed me." You giggled, leaning into his chest.

In response, Zhongli slid his hands down under your bum and hoisted you up in his arms, earning a yelp of surprise from you. Your legs wrapped around his waist to keep yourself stable while you clung to his shoulders, a smile so sweet now spreading on his features, captivating you. He leaned back against the pile of wood for stability, holding you tight and helping himself to handfuls of your thighs.

"Of course I missed you dear. I've been waiting since I received your letter." He hummed, pressing his forehead to yours.

"Well this is unexpected indeed!" You laughed. "I did think you'd miss me this much!"

"I've spent thousands of years waiting, and I've decided I no longer like to wait. I've shed my divinity, and I've replaced it with mortal selfish desires." He rambled, bringing a hand up to your cheek. "I've missed missing someone... This feeling of longing... I've always wanted to wait for someone to come home to me for a change."

"Oh my, you've gotten so sweet since I last saw you. You really did miss me huh?"

"I've missed you a great deal. I've waited so long just to feel your embrace again, love." He mumbled, a pink tint rising on his cheeks.

You huffed, delighted to be so wanted and missed by him.

"I missed you too, hun. There isn't a day that goes by where I'm not thinking of you." You hummed, leaning into his hand. "I'm home now, and I plan on staying for a little while before I go again."

"Good. Good..." He sighed, brushing his thumb over your cheek. "Home seems to be wherever you are, so don't go for a while."

"That's the plan, you squishy fool~"

You pinched his cheek to tease him, earning a small grun of protest from him. Using his position, he shifted you in his grip which made you grab onto him again to maintain stability, which was exactly what he wanted. With you destabilised, he pulled you into his chest all the way and sat on the pile of wood, capturing your lips in a very needy kiss.

You melted instantly, no longer wanting to tease him. All you wanted now was just him, and the feelings he shared. Lost in a kiss framed by the setting sun, your hands ran up into his hair; soft and glowing. He relished the feeling of your lips, moving from one long soft kiss to a string of smaller needy ones being peppered on your lips and cheeks. There was so much love in every gesture, and it was even readable within his eyes; only open just enough to see where he would kiss you next in a half lidded haze of affection.

"Hun, c'mon! Let me catch a breath!" You giggled, not even making an attempt to move away from his lips.

"Mmm, I must make up for all the kisses I could've given you if you were here though. Shall I spread out the times I remind you how much I love you then?" He offered playfully.

"Just long enough for us to have dinner and go home, hey?" You huffed. "Though I'm not complaining... I just think we deserve some tea and fine dining."

"Ah, yes. There's always room for us at Liuli Pavillion. I can only imagine the stories you have to tell me. Let me hear them all over dinner. Inazuma is a fascinating country." He hummed.

"It's not often you aren't the one telling stories now is it." You said, kissing the tip of his nose. "I'd be happy to fill you in on all I have seen and done. Then we can go home~"

"It's never home without you. Make my house a home again, dear."

"Gladly. Now, how about that tea?" You reminded him.

"How about wine instead? There's a new shipment of dandelion wine from Mondstat." He offered.

"Wine it is then." you chuckled.

Zhongli smiled and pushed off the pile of wood, carrying you away from the harbour. You protested and insisted you could walk, but his voice ruled over yours on account of wanting to hold you a little longer. You couldn't say no to that request, so you complied and clung to him lovingly without a care for those who passed you by. Everyone knew how deeply in love with you Zhongli was anyway. He had been seen running from the funeral parlour many times just to see you, so it was no secret.

Perhaps you would extend your stay in Liyue. That or bring him with you on your next adventure. Breaking away from the traveller for a bit wouldn't do any harm. You were great companions, and they were sure to understand why when they came back to see Zhongli unmoving from your side. Peace had returned to you, and so had home.

He was right; it wasn't home without him, and boy were you glad to finally be back.