Chapter Ten: Liminal Space

Satoru watches as the busy and cramped cityscape of Tokyo begins to ebb away until rolling hills and the pale blue morning sky is all that he can see out of his window. His train carriage is half full of business people and young adults that look like they're seeking adventure or running from mundane responsibilities. The carriage is mostly silent but there are a few small groupings of friends that talk quietly amongst themselves about their plans for the day. It's a pleasant white noise that lets Satoru almost drift off into his own realm of thoughts before an old man across from the aisle, coughs. Satoru glances over at him and the old man bristles at the sudden attention, giving Satoru a frown.

"Didn't your parents ever teach you that it's rude to stare?" The old man grumbles and looks away before going on about how youngsters don't have any respect these days. Something seems familiar about the grouchy old man but Satoru doesn't dwell on it, not finding any worth about him. To him, this old man is one and the same as the elders that are about to become his colleagues.

Turning back to the window, Satoru is simply content in watching the trees blur past. In the far distance, the snow capped top of Mount Fuji towers over the much smaller mountain peaks. Its white snow almost blends in completely with a low passing cloud. For once, Satoru is thankful for the serenity and peace. He had always been one to leave havoc in his wake but the pleasant scenery is the perfect change of backdrop he needs to fully lay out all of his thoughts and questions.

First and foremost, Satoru wonders exactly what was the catalyst for his sudden transfer. If there was one to begin with. His transfer could very well have just been for the entertainment of the elders. If that is the case, Satoru doesn't appreciate this game of cat and mouse. Rather, it leaves him with a tight, coiling feeling in the pit of his stomach.

He may be the strongest sorcerer alive but the mind games that the elders enjoy playing from the shadows can still bring devastation. They can spin webs of lies dipped in honey-sweet words or they can take the truth of something and hone it into a blade so sharp and cutting. Sometimes, the pen is truly mightier than the sword and in this case, Satoru doesn't doubt one bit that the elders uphold the same sentiment.

He decides to ignore that concern for the time being.

Secondly, though Getou is safe under Yaga's careful watch, what will happen in the future? With them separated, will the elders hunt for any sort of weakness to and then strike down Getou? That previously tight feeling in his stomach begins to sour and Satoru has to look away from the countryside that continues to blur past the train. His eyes fall on the silver band around his fourth finger, its small gleam gives him a small bit of comfort and Satoru exhales slowly.

No, the elders aren't daring enough to try something as barmy as that. Not unless they have a death wish. It's a well known fact that Satoru is fiercely loyal and vindictive. If one strikes against one of Satoru's loved ones, then he strikes back with ten times the ferity.

This could all just be nothing more than extra help is needed in the Kyoto sister school. While Satoru knows that's not the case, he finds himself hoping that it is. Ignorance is bliss, he wants to tell himself but another part of him reminds himself that ignorance leads a fool to death. The person who claims ignorance is no more than just another face in the sea of cattle on the way to the slaughterhouse.

Drumming his fingers against the armrest, Satoru frowns.

He'll think about all of that later. Satoru wants to enjoy the last couple of hours of peace before he's thrown into the unknown. Stretching, he notices the old man from before is glowering at him once more. Now, it's starting to become tempting to mess with such an irate person. It's no small secret that Satoru loves to push buttons and when someone like this comes into his life, it's near impossible to not start something.