Chapter Thirteen: In Memoriam

"Come on already, pick up." Suguru mumbles, looking down at his phone with growing irritation. It's not at all like Gojou to not call him or to ignore his phone calls. A feeling of sickness settles in Suguru's gut and he mentally runs down a list of reasons about Gojou's sudden and unsettling silence.

It could be something as simple as he's in a meeting with the higher ups and he can't be on his phone. Suguru ponders over that explanation with waning confidence. As believable as it is, he can't deny how something just feels off, like there's just something not right about whatever is going on. He hasn't been contacted with any of the other Kyoto staff so it's not like Gojou went and blew up a building or something equally ridiculous or brash. Yaga also seemed to be quite relaxed earlier so Suguru knows that Gojou isn't involved in anything too ungodly obnoxious.

Perhaps his phone got lost. Though that wouldn't really make sense to Suguru since Gojou is practically glued to that phone of his. There's always a time for firsts, he has to begrudgingly remind himself.

With a sigh, he's about to give Gojou one more call when there's a soft tug on his pant leg. Looking down, Suguru is greeted with solemn green eyes staring up at him.

Suguru still isn't sure why Yaga decided to leave Megumi in his care for the afternoon. Yaga had said something along the lines of 'This is a good opportunity for you to get used to him. Your girls are asking for takeout and he doesn't do well in crowds; there's something you two already have in common.' Suguru still finds it absurd but looking down at the young boy, he realizes that maybe there was some truth behind Yaga's words.

"Are you okay?" Megumi asks quietly, turning his gaze downward. "'Cus you don't look okay."

Suguru simply smiles and tells him he's fine. When the little boy slowly nods, Suguru goes back to his phone to call Gojou one more time. From the corner of his eye, he watches as Megumi lets out a long exhale as the kid continues to study his well worn shoes without another word or complaint. As the phone continues to ring and ring, Suguru bites the inside of his cheek.

When there's no answer, Suguru just puts his phone away before running a hand through his hair. Megumi looks up once more with a deepening frown, studying him with an unblinking gaze and to Suguru, it feels as if the kid is judging his entire soul's worth. He doesn't know what to do, he's still dumbstruck by the sheer similarities between son and father so every time he sees Megumi, Suguru is stuck with the image of a younger Toji. As much as he's trying to get used to him, it still leaves Suguru feeling sick at times. Under that gaze, Suguru looks away, sighing once again. They're still so creepily similar and he hates that look in Megumi's eyes.

"You don't have to worry, I'm just
trying to get a hold of a friend of mine but I think he's busy right now." His answer seems to satisfy the little boy and he quietly hums.

A brief moment of silence settles between them and Suguru begins to think that maybe it's not so bad to look after Megumi. As long as Suguru doesn't think how much Megumi looks like Toji, he figures it'll be smooth sailing. Sure, he's strangely quiet for his age and even more strangely serious but it's not as if Suguru is going to complain about not having an obnoxious kid to look after.

If he wanted to deal with aggravating, he would've snuck to Kyoto to be with Gojou... even if the idea sounds tempting.

"Mister Yaga said that you know my dad."

Immediately, Suguru wishes that he was dealing with any other brat instead of this one. He flounders for an answer but keeps faltering. With each passing second, Megumi grows more and more skeptical of him. He could tell the truth, but who would want to tell a little kid that their father was a murderer that had to be put down like some sort of rabid dog? Suguru doubts that even Gojou would go that far. He wishes that Gojou was here with him because at least Suguru could have him handle this situation instead.