Chapter 30: Laying Low

"Let me get this straight. There's a woman who wants to hurt your older brother because he denied his sexuality and in the process unknowingly played a hand in the death of a heartbroken girl?" Vannie stared at me as I finished recounting the event that transpired at the laboratory. "That woman knows that nobody could be held responsible for somebody else's personal choice, right?"

"Are you saying that suicide is a choice?" Moira stared back at our friend. "I mean, I suppose it is, but it's still jarring when you say it bluntly like that."

"My point is that Johan denying who he is might have started a mess but he wasn't the one who killed Sherlyn, his decision to break up with her was simply an impetus or a catalyst," Vannie replied. "What is the chance that we can put a restraining order on Linda? We should report her to the police or something for threatening your family, Nardho."

I'm afraid the police wouldn't believe his story that easily, Rain shook their head and flashed us a sad smile. Unless he's got some evidence to back him up, the police might think he's slandering Linda.

"Maybe we can get Keith to testify," Moira spoke up. "Would that help?"

"That could be helpful, assuming that Linda hasn't tried to silence him," Vannie rubbed her temple. "She's not stupid, so I won't be surprised if right now she's blackmailing, or worse, torturing Keith to prevent him from revealing her scheme."

"Shit, I didn't even think of that possibility!" I bang my head on the table, earning a glare from Moira. "Sorry," I muttered. "You're right being panicky would lead us nowhere. Let's call the number he left us. Hopefully the worst hasn't happened yet. But how do I reach him without our conversation being intercepted?"

Do you have a burner phone or a similar gadget? Rain interrupted. If not, I can buy you one. We should be careful not to make a call using anything that could potentially be used to locate us.

"They have a point," Vannie nodded. "Linda could be tracking you. Anyway, you guys destroyed your phones already before coming here, did you?"

"We did," Moira replied. "We passed by a cliff on the way here and Nardho didn't hesitate to chuck our phones out of the windows. I was screaming at him until he explained why he had to do so. Devices like ours could unfortunately turn into a location tracker, like Rain said."

"Your scream could shatter a whole glasshouse," I chortled and Moira's cheeks turned a shade redder. "We were lucky the people on the highway didn't think I was kidnapping you. For all they knew I could be a human trafficker and you my victim."

Your sense of humor is beyond terrible, Nardho! Rain shoved me lightly. Enough joking, though. Let's get a burner phone.

----

The process to acquire a burner phone was relatively uncomplicated and soon I was punching in the number Keith told me to call, holding my breath as I waited for someone to pick up.

"Georgie Blanche Pizzeria, I'm very sorry but we're about to close and can no longer do take out or delivery for tonight." An irritated voice answered on the other end. "Hello? Didn't you hear me? We're done taking orders for the night."

"Hey, I'm looking for George. Before we proceed, are you alone in the parlor?"

"That's me and yes, I'm closing up on my own. Who am I speaking with?"

"George, may I please talk to your father?" I began. "This is Nardho. I assume your father has filled you in on that incident at Orchidsboro Second Chances?"

"Really? If you're truly Mr. Sitohang, then you'd answer this correctly. What are the names of the puppies at the Dream Chamber and what breed?"

"Baxter and Roscoe, golden retriever."