Chapter 3: Geography Lessons, Endangered Species, and Moira's Incredulous Plan

August 20th 2626

Gibran has totally revamped Lee's office and makes it his own. The refurbished space has me taken aback for a while because I did not expect the office to be more spacious and inviting. The corner that used to house Lee's books is gone and replaced by a large window that overlooks the campus' main entrance. I can see our university's emblem from high above and the blue orchid statue looks majestic under the morning sunlight. The office now has two sofas, each of them big enough for four students to sit on without being cramped. The walls are lined with paintings of sceneries from places I don't recognize—maybe Gibran loves to travel just like my mom. I wonder if I could interest him into discussing random archeological stuff that mom finds for Nardhia and I—things like clay tablets with ancient hieroglyph, handwritten notes in languages I can't comprehend, and sometimes if she's lucky she brings home musical instruments.

"Hey, Nardho, don't just stand there motionless! Come in!" Gibran's voice brings me back to reality. He looks up from the paper he was reading and gestures for me to sit on the sofa.

"So, what brings you here today? I suppose you want to know more about the study abroad trip, right? I can tell you more, but first let's make sure you're eligible to take the trip", the professor continues while handing me a piece of brochure. I read it and finds out that the trip is for biochemistry majors who has accumulated at least sixteen credit hours or more, although those with fewer credit hours are also welcomed if they can manage the work load and take prerequisites classes before the trip commences. Cool. I have twenty four credit hours already.

I was just about to respond to the professor when I heard a soft knock on the door. Moira, Tony, and Hamza comes in, followed by Risma. It seems that everyone has a business with Gibran.

"Ah, there you are, Risma. I was just explaining to Nardho the eligibility requirements to join the trip to Black Elm. Now that you are here, maybe you can go more in depth since you're my co-organizer and co-lecturer? I'm sure you can briefly explain the purpose of the trip," Gibran addresses the woman professor and Risma takes her seat, ready to give us students more details.

"Alright, so like my colleague said during the orientation ceremony, this field trip to Black Elm is a university-sponsored trip for students and researchers with an interest in a hybrid species called the Kulambas. In this trip, we are going to stay in an archipelago called Amethyst, which contains the biggest islands in Black Elm. The university has a partnership with the local biology research station and so you guys will stay in a resort with modern bungalows. Most of you are on academic scholarships, right? In that case all of the expenses are taken care of."

Wow, bungalows in a resort. Color me impressed. Blue Orchid University really is being extravagant and treating the students like royalties. Talk about state-school privileges.

"Sounds good. Could you tell me more about the geography of Amethyst Archipelago?" Moira raises her hand and I smile at her, approving of her question. Geographical information is important because it helps travelers know what to expect in terms of climate, seasons, cultural differences, and other things that can affect how enjoyable the trip is going to be.

"Amethyst Archipelago is probably one of the most biologically diverse chain of islands in Black Elm!" exclaims Gibran excitedly, "This tropical archipelago is nestled between two oceans and two continents. It is famously surrounded by a ring of fire, also known as volcanic mountain ranges. The archipelago has both luscious forests with evergreen trees and beautiful seas with coral reefs of all the colors you can imagine. Amethyst Archipelago comprises of 5% of all the biodiversity in Black Elm although size-wise it only occupies 0.03% of the land in the entire planet. Here, let me pull up some photographs."