Chapter 42B: The Unholy Trinity of Sides, Part 2

Despite his initial hesitation about being sent to an in-patient psychiatric unit, Johan managed to do well in his journey toward recovery. He cooperated with the team of psychiatrists who observed him and truthfully answered the questions they asked. There was no telling how long he would be kept there before he could just opt for a regular outpatient treatment regimen, but he accepted that this would be a long journey.

On the sixth day of his observation period, he was allowed to have visitors. I came together with Mom, who was staying at my and Moira's house, and Dad, who I convinced to come with us all the way from the homeless shelter. Kenta would catch up with us when he was done with his work for the day and had promised to pick Nardhia up on his way. He said they might also bring some homemade food.

"Mom?" Johan blinked a couple times when we walked in. "Oh gosh, you're here with Dad! Does it mean you two reconcile? You already forgave Dad, then?"

"More like we agree on a temporary ceasefire, for your sake." Mom gave Dad a side eye. "What your Dad did to you doesn't deserve to be so easily forgiven."

"I don't expect forgiveness." Dad said while staring at the floor. "I simply thought I gotta see all my children before I leave this world for good."

"Dad, is Nardho correct in worrying that your COPD may kill you?" Johan asked in an almost inaudible voice. "Have you been properly treated for it?"

"Don't go soft on him just because he might be dying!" Mom crossed her arms. "He could be faking it just to gain our sympathy. Don't get manipulated."

"Mom, please, it's not the time to chide Johan!" I interrupted. "And for your information, I know for a fact Dad isn't faking. I've been in his position, remember? I know all too well what the signs of COPD look like. He is ill, Mom."

"I'm an old man, son, even without this disease I think I'm not gonna last any longer, anyway." Dad shuffled his feet awkwardly. "I don't expect pity."

"I figured you don't." Johan sighed. "Still, you being sick saddened me. Here you are, finally re-appearing in my life after I thought I've lost you forever, and your disease threatens to take you away from your children for eternity."

"You are too kind, Johan. Now that I look back at our past, I wondered how I could be so heartless to disown you." Dad grimaced. "Why haven't you disowned me back? You could have simply chosen to forget me and move on with your life."

"I can't." Johan said while a drop of tear streaked his cheek. "Call me a perpetual optimist if you must, but I've always held on to this idea that people can change."

"Have you been living in a fairytale or what?" Mom shot him an annoyed look.

"Clara, let him be. You have no control over his opinions!" Dad interjected.

"Control. Really, Petrus?" Mom said mockingly. "How ironic that the man who tried to control his son's sexual and romantic life is now talking about not controlling the very same son. What's your agenda? What do you want from us?"

"Mom, please let dad explain himself!" Johan cried. "I wanna hear his story. What have you been up to all these years, Dad? How come you end up homeless? And what made you finally realize that having a gay son is okay?"

"It's gonna take a long time to recount everything, but if you're all ears then I suppose I can give you the short version." Dad closed his eyes and a pained expression made the wrinkles on his forehead more noticeable. "But I want to wait until your partner and your sister arrive. Wait, are you still with that Asian lad?"

"Yeah, Kenta and I have been happily married for decades now. We have two kids. Perhaps you would like to meet them sometime?" Johan smiled.

"I owe him an apology too. I don't know how he feels about all the slurs I threw his way many years ago, but I'm sure he doesn't see me in a good light."