Chapter 36: Attesting to Accountability and/or Lack Thereof

The deafening sound of thunder and a flash of lightning accompanied Moira and I as we climbed up the stone stairs to the foyer of Orchidsboro High Court. I was not usually one to ascribe vague meaning to weather and other naturally occurring elements of our physical reality, but this stressful morning I was agitated enough to seek out strength from anything, even the sky. In my ears, it was as if the dark sky was livid at Linda and screaming for due justice to be served cold.

Johan and Kenta were already in the testifier waiting room, along with their son and daughter. Sitting next to this family were Vannie and Rain, holding hands in silence. Soon, we were joined by Neesa, Keith, and George. The three of them had eye bags but still managed to smile at everyone. They must have stayed up late to review all the facts and rehearse their points of contentions. I glanced at my wristwatch—twenty three minutes before the hearing commenced.

"Whatever the verdict is going to be, I love you so much, Papa." George put an arm around Keith and the man returned the gesture. "You're a good person siding with the innocent and I'm already proud of you for doing that. So, if you get penalized for that, know that my respect for you will never diminish. Tu es un homme de principe et je suis honoré de m'appeler ton fils."

"Tout ira bien," the dad replied. "No worries, I'm prepared for whatever may happen."

As if on cue, the door to the courtroom creaked open and a young attendant called our names, ushering us in and showing us the plaintiff's table. Linda was seated on the defendant's table, close to the jury box, stiff as a board. Her expression, not unlike the neutral faces of the panel of judges, remained unreadable as we made eye contact. I half-expected Johan to flinch but he, too, kept his composure. The anti-psychotic medication he was on worked exceptionally well.

"All rise. The court is now in session," one of the judges said in a monotone voice. "The trial for the case brought up by the Sitohang brothers against Ms. Linda Zulfikar shall begin. We welcome the two accusers to give a brief opening statement testifying to the accused's alleged crime. Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and only the truth so help you God?"

"We swear to tell nothing but the truth, so help us God." Johan and I rose, speaking in unison.

"Your honor, Linda allegedly has a homicidal intent and it can be easily proven considering she has harmed my younger sibling," Johan started. "His hospitalization records can speak for itself."

"She didn't stop at harming me, your honor, she hurt my friends too and they have the scars to prove it. If that was not a murderous streak, then what was that sadism?" I added.

"Ms. Zulfikar, what do you have to say for yourself regarding their charging you for attempted homicide?" the same judge who began the trial asked. "Do you deny or accept the accusation?"

"I'm not as vicious as they made me out to be!" Linda stood abruptly. "I had to teach Nardho and people around him a lesson but only because I want them to pay for what happened to my sister."

"What evidence do you have that makes you so sure Mr. Johannes Sitohang directly or indirectly caused the death of Ms. Sherlyn Zulfikar?" the judge inquired. "Wasn't there a doubt regarding whether or not her death was caused by accidental drug overdose?"

"They used to be lovers, your honor, and he one-sidedly and unfairly ended their relationship. I knew my sister better than anybody else, she wasn't the type to abuse drugs, but what he did to her truly broke her and she succumbed to the mental anguish. I want him prosecuted!"

"That's not a sufficient answer to my question. It is very subjective," the judge dismissed Linda. "Nonetheless, I shall conduct more questioning before the prosecutor can convict anybody as a felon." He turned his attention toward Johan. "Why did you end the relationship?"