Chapter 8 - The beach

Y/n pov

I walk towards the cafeteria. It's still pretty early and not everyone is up jet. I'm just here to help out with breakfast. This morning the last practice games are taking place and afterwards we're going to the beach. I put some food out and then I see Sugawara walk in. I walk up to him. 'Good morning.' I say. 'Oh hey y/n what's up?' 'Just helping with breakfast. Are you excited for our beach trip?' 'Yeah I've been looking forward to it all week.' Then I see someone else walk in, Kenma. He's with Kuroo of course. 'Oh are you looking at Kenma again?' Sugawara says. 'Do you like him?' 'Maybe' I say. 'So you do hah?' 'Shhh' I say.

Kenma pov

I walk into the cafeteria and I see y/n. She smiles at me and I smile back. Then I feel someone tapping my shoulder. 'What Kuroo?' 'How are things going with you and your girlfriend?' He asks. 'She's not my' I don't finish my sentence. She is my girlfriend. 'Kenma?' 'Yes Kuroo?' 'Is she your girlfriend?' 'Yes, but you can't tell anyone. I don't know if y/n wants others to know already. We made it official last night.' 'Bro? Really?' 'Yes, calm down.' 'Go have breakfast with her.' And so I do. I walk up to y/n. She turns to me. 'Kenma, hey.' Y/n says. 'Do you want to have breakfast with me?' I ask. 'Yes of course.'

We sit down and I notice y/n is feeling a bit anxious. She is fidgeting with her hands and she seems to be lost in thought. 'Hey y/n are you feeling okay?' I ask. 'Yeah I'm fine.' She isn't, I'm not blind. 'Y/n what's wrong?' 'I'm, it's just, are you sure we're not moving too fast?' She asks. My heart sinks into my chest. Does she maybe not want to be girlfriend? 'I really like you Kenma, but we've known each other for such a short time. What if things don't work out? What if you don't like me as much as you thought?' She says. I can't believe she's saying these things. I know how much I like her and that's not going to change, if anything I'll like her more. 'Y/n, I'm not that good with words but I like you so much, that won't change. If anything I'll start liking you more. If you need more time before you want to be in a relationship you can have all the time you want. But I still think that this is right for us even if it's soon.'

Y/n pov

He's right, this is right for us. I'm just a little scared to give him my heart. He could break it so easily. But I think it's worth it for him, for us. 'Kenma, you're right. This is right for us. Is it okay if I tell some people, just people I'm close to of course?' 'Yes of course, I told Kuroo. He kept annoying me and asking me if you're my girlfriend and I didn't want to lie to him. I really hope that's okay with you.' Kenma says. Honestly it's fine, Kuroo is his best friend and I trust him. 'Oh that's fine Kenma, I like Kuroo and I trust him.' Kenmas smiles at me softly. I'm obsessed with this boy. He makes me feel so safe and comfortable.

--- Time skip to after the matches because we be lazy like that ---

We're in the bus driving to the beach. I'm sitting next to Hinata who's rambling on about how excited he is for today. I'm not really listening anymore to be honest. 'Y/n, you've been spending a lot of time with Kenma, right?' Hinata asks. 'Yep, we've gotten pretty close actually.' I say. 'Do you have a crush on him?' 'Ehm well actually we're a couple, like in a romantic relationship.' I say. HInata's eyes widen and a huge smile forms on his face. 'Two of my best friends are dating, that's awesome!' 'Yeah maybe we can go on double dates with you and Kageyama.' I say. Hinata gets red. 'Well ehm, ehm, ehm.' Hinata says. I start laughing.

Kenma pov

We get off the bus and step outside. It's really, really warm out here. Honestly I'm not that bigga fan of the beach, or of being outside at all. Well maybe the beach can be nice, but when it has cooled down and there's almost no people and you can just watch the sunset. But today is nothing like that. I kinda just want to go home and play video games, but I don't think that's an option. Well at least y/n is here. Honestly as long as I have her I'm fine. She walks up to me. She's carrying a bag and she's wearing a really cute outfit. She smiles at me. 'Do you want to spend the day together?' She asks. 'I would really like that.'

We all find a spot and sit down, y/n next to me. 'Hey Kiyoko and I are getting some drinks from the bar, do you want something Kenken?' Y/n asks. Did she just call me Kenken? I would kill her if I didn't love her so much. 'Hmm just some ice tea.' She walks away. Then Kuroo leans over. 'Kenken? Did she really just call you Kenken? And you just allowed her to do it too, if it was me I would be dead by now.' Kuroo says. 'Yes you would be.' I say. 'You go so soft for this girl, I've never seen you like this.' Kuroo says. 'Don't get used to it, I only go soft for her, no one else.' 'I know Kenma, I've known you for a long time. I gotta say though I really like seeing you two together, she seems to make you happy.' Kuroo says. And he's right. 'Yeah she really does.'

Y/n pov

'So you and Kenma hah?' Kiyoko asks. We're walking towards the bar to get some sodas. 'What about me and Kenma?' I ask. I know what she means, I just like teasing her. 'You two seem to have gotten close.' Kiyoko says. 'Do you like him?' 'Ehm we're actually already together.' I say. 'Wait like you two are actually dating?' 'Yeah' I say. Kiyoko smiles at me. 'That's great y/n, I'm so happy for you.' 'Thanks Kiyoko.' I say. It's always great to have Kiyoko's support. She's a good friend and what she thinks really means a lot to me. 'You two look really cute together, did you know that?' Kiyoko says. I giggle a little, and so does Kiyoko. We take our drinks and walk back to others.

'Here you go, Kenma.' I say. I give Kenma his drink and sit down next to him. 'Thanks.' For a while I just enjoy the scenery. The sounds of the waves is a sound I've always loved. Some of the guys are swimming, others playing beach volleyball and the rest is just relaxing and tanning. This volleyball camp has been awesome. I met the most beautiful person ever, and he became my boyfriend. I'm going to miss him so much. My breathing gets a bit faster and all of a sudden too many thoughts are filling my head. He lives a couple hours away, that's not going to be easy. What if he wants to go swimming and I have to take my dress off? I haven't come out to him yet, I feel like I should.

Kenma turns to me. 'Y/n are you okay, you're breathing so fast. What's going on, talk to me.' I grab Kenma's hand. My hands are really sweaty I know, but it's the only thing I can think of doing right now. He closes his hands around mine. 'If you want to talk to someone else I can go get Sugawara or Kiyoko or even Hinata for you, just tell me how I can help you.' Kenma sounds really worried. He's so sweet though. I feel really guilty for making him worried and for staying quiet, I'm just trying to figure out what to say. 'No, that's okay Kenma, I want to talk to you. There's just a few things I'm worried about hitting me at once.' I say. 'What are you worried about?' Kenma asks. 'You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, I really just want to help you.' 'No I'll tell you. It's just that we're leaving tomorrow and you live a few hours away, I just know it's going to be hard not seeing you everyday. And then there's the fact that we're at the beach, and though I love the beach and I love swimming, I also hate it because I'm very insecure about my body. And there's something else, which I've been wanting to tell you for a while but it really scares me and I don't know how to tell you and..' 'Y/n, hey, breathe. It's okay, let's just break this down and then we'll be having fun in no time.' Kenma says.

'Yeah okay' I say. 'Okay so first about the long distance thing, I looked it up and it's really not that far if you go by train. We can come visit each other every weekend, and when we're on break we can even have sleepovers, okay?' Kenma says. I nod. 'Okay now about swimming. Y/n, you are the most beautiful person I've ever met, inside and out. You should never feel insecure about your body because not only is it perfect just the way it is, it's also the most unimportant thing about you. Your soul and your heart are so much more important. And just please always remember I love just the way you are, I always will.' Kenma says. 'Okay.' I stutter.

'Now for the thing you wanted to tell me, I don't know what it is but just know you can always tell me anything, okay?' Kenma says. I have to tell him. 'I'm bi.' I blurt out. He looks a little confused. 'Wait that's it?' He asks. 'Ehm eh yeah.' I say. Shit he looks too confused, is he not okay with it? I mean he really should be otherwise he's a real jackass, but I'd still be sad if we broke up. 'Y/n that's fine, I still love you just the same. Besides I never really thought you were straight to be honest. I don't even know if I'm straight. Besides I don't think anyone here is, well except for maybe Tanaka.' I laugh a little and I feel a lot better now. 'You didn't have to be scared to tell me that, you know that right? And honestly you didn't even have to tell me that, I don't think anyone is ever obligated to come out.' Kenma says. 'Yeh I know it's just, I don't know I built up some anxiety and I really didn't want you to be one of those jackasses. I mean I knew you weren't but still.' I say. 'It's okay y/n'