REAL

Requested by @Doughnutboi. I hope this looks right, and I hope you enjoy it!

"After school tomorrow, will you come to the giant tree in the practice garden?"

That was what Hanako had asked her. And now, Nene was regretting saying 'yes'.

She didn't want to go out with Hanako! He wasn't even her type! Even if he was strong, and cute, and . . .

"What are you thinking?" Nene whispered to herself. It was her last class of the day, and she had just erupted in blush.

"Yashiro-san, do you need to go to the nurse?" The teacher asked kindly. Nene fought back her blush.

"N-no, I'm okay . . ."

The teacher returned to the lesson, but Nene couldn't focus.

And, much sooner than she was ready for, it was time.

Stalking her way to the practice garden, Nene's heart quickly went into double time.

He's going to confess! Should I turn him down? He's not my type, so duh!

But then she spotted him.

Floating a few inches above ground, his hands in his pockets. The leaves cast shadows on his head and shoulders. He was facing away from her, and . . .

He's so cute!

Nene blushed harder.

You can't think that!

But . . . what if she could? She paused to imagine it.

Going out with a ghost sounded romantic, but Nene wasn't sure. The last time she had hopes about boys, Kou fell from the sky and attacked Hanako.

But this . . . this was Hanako. It couldn't hurt to take a chance, right?

Nene walked up to the boy. "Hanako-kun!" He smiled and turned to her.

"You made it." Before she could move, Hanako had grabbed her shoulders. "Well, I'll just get right to it!"

Nene hid behind her book bag. "W-wait, this is so s-sudden!" Hanako slowly lowered her bag.

"I love you, Yashiro! Please go out with me!"

Nene froze.

In the span of a single second, a million things went through her head.

So this is what it's like to be confessed to . . .

This is it! My first ever love confession! My first boyfriend!

He's not my type, and he's a ghost, but still!

I'm so happy!

"Hanako-kun . . ." Nene smiled. "Yes! I'll go out with you!"

Hanako stopped moving. "Umm, Yashiro?" he blinked.

"Are you okay?"

"I've decided I don't like you."

Nene felt a tear trace its way down her face. "You . . . don't . . ."

"Well, that's rude! Declaring love, then turning away!" Nene jumped back as the tree spoke. The trunk shifted into a man's face. "Maybe you need a little help with this!"

Before Hanako could move, a pink flower landed on his hat. "Huh? What's this?"

"Any second now, you'll start to feel uncontrollable love for her!" The tree announced.

"Hmm, sorry, I don't think so." Hanako quickly unsheathed his knife. "Yashiro, stay behind me!" Nene was too stunned to do otherwise.

It . . . wasn't real . . .

Hanako quickly defeated the tree, and it became a broccoli-sized version of itself.

Nene starred at it.

"It's a Kodama! Oh, by the way, we need to think of a rumor. And one for the Misaki Stairs!" Hanako crouched on the ground and poked at the tree. "Any ideas, Yashiro?"

Nene didn't respond. "Yashiro?"

"H-H-Hanako-kun . . ."

"Oh. Yashiro . . .'' Nene had started crying. Hanako stood and hugged her. "Y-you're so mean!" Nene leaned her forehead against his shoulder. "I-I-I thought it w-was for r-real!" Nene tried to push away from the ghost, but he was too strong. "S-stupid Hanako-kun! Y-you're s-so mean!"

"Yashiro, do you want to know why the Kodama's spell didn't do anything?" Hanako asked. Nene nodded.

"It's because you can't give someone a feeling that they already have," he said shly. Nene paused crying.

"W-what?"

"Yashiro, can I try this again?" Nene didn't respond. Hanako leaned back and held the girl at arm's length. "Yashiro, I love you. Please . . . please go out with me."

Nene nodded. "O-okay, I'll go out with you. A-and . . ." she paused, building courage. "I love you too." 

A/N:

I love doing requests! Please tell me all the ideas you have!

Stay safe and healthy!

~~ Author-chan ~~