Prologue

August 20, 1989
Victoria Menendez

I hear gunshots coming from downstairs, waking me up instantly.

Oh my god, is someone robbing my house?

What do I do?

I stay in bed and hide under the covers and cover my ears, hoping the noise will stop soon. I try not to breathe so loud so they don't come upstairs and get me.

The house was in pure silence. I took my hands off my ears and removed the covers off my body.

I'm so scared.

Should I go downstairs?

I walk to my bedroom door and open it slowly, hoping it doesn't creak. I successfully open my door with no noise and I head towards the stairs, tip toeing real slow. I hope the robbers are gone by now. I see no one in the house as I'm walking downstairs so that's a good sign.

I made it downstairs, but what I see next raises hair on my arm.

Blood.

A trail of blood pointing in the direction of the family room. I carefully walk to the family room, not getting any blood on my feet. When I enter the family room, I scream in terror.

Mom and dad.

My parents.

D E A D.

I walk to the front of the room, where the TV was to get a better look and I start to cry hysterically.

Who did this?

I walk up to my dead parents and kneel in front of them and just continue to cry. I grab my mother's hand and held it in mine, not caring about the blood staining my hand.

"Mommy? Mommy wake up." I cried out, but she didn't respond. Then I go to my dad and tried shaking him, hoping this is a dream.

"Dad? Come on now, wake up please. Dad!" No response.

I hear footsteps outside of the family room and someone talking really loud and crying.

Oh god. They're still here.

I tried to find something in the room to help defend myself, but there was nothing.

The footsteps are getting louder and coming closer.

Oh no.

I just hug my legs and stick my head in between, not the best at hiding, but I have nowhere to go.

"Vicky?" I hear a familiar voice, I lift my head up and I see my brother Erik with a shotgun in his hand.

Oh my god. Did he do this?

"Erik?" I choked out, still crying. I see him start to cry as he realizes what he's done.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." He says, walking up and try to comfort me, but I stood up quickly and stick my hand out in front of me.

"Get away from me!" I said. Then my other brother Lyle comes in the room and sees me and his face expression looks like he's seen a ghost.

I pointed at the both of them and cried out, "What did you do?!"

And that was the last time I've seen my brothers.